2 sous vide not cutting it

I have a recirculating heater/chiller for sale. I used it for my spd w/o issues. Just had the cooling system fixed.

why not just get a heating element connect it to some pipe, plum in a high temp pump, and add a pid temp controller and have a 2000-3000 watt high efficiency heater?

or this bad boy is what I use haha

1 Like

If your running very cold, you are going to need 5kw of heating power for that collector. For under $100 you can build yourself a heater using a 240v water heater element and a pid controller with an appropriately sized contactor.

Or you can buy a recirculating heater with that amount of power

1 Like

Yea (2) sous vids do NOT cut it. It takes 3-4 bucket heaters iv seen to get over that slope. Beware they are super sketchy looking but I have had no problems. They 100% will burn out though.

If you got the bands I would invest into these 4kw heater recirculators on the market. Should never have the problem again. I use the julabo sc but poly science has one cheaper and Xtractor Depot has the xeno Heater. Cheers!

How much do those heaters cost?

https://xtractordepot.com/pages/search-results?q=heater&page_num=2

:call_me_hand: check the wattage as their is several price ranges.

https://www.amazon.com/KOLERFLO-Circulating-3-Speed-Circulation-Heater/dp/B07D54THTT/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=kolerflo&qid=1575606298&sr=8-2

1 Like

thanks! and then I just need to pressurize the system to activate the heater right? or will the flow rate alone do it?

Depending on the size of your line and amount of water youā€™d want one in and one going out. Iā€™ve seen a couple people now do it this way. Itā€™s def doable. Youā€™ll want a reservoir tank to be able to top of to account for evaporation

1 Like

May be a little late to comment on this, but has anybody ever placed their cls in a bucket of water, and put a sous vide directly in the bucket? Is this a safe practice?

1 Like

Canā€™t say itā€™s safe but i did that for a while. Dm me if you wanna chat about it.

1 Like

I have a few of those bucket water heaters. They seem to work well

Edit:not using for anything hydrocarbon related always check for an exposed element

It is a common practice. Is it safeā€¦I dont know. Define safe. I havenā€™t found it unsafe myself. I believe I have a good practice when it comes to cleaning, set up, maintenance and operation of my equipment. If I were to find myself in an unsafe situation using the sous videā€¦I definitely put myself there with warning signs along the way.

Yeah, those C1D1 sous vide are da bomb!

No. Not safe. Routine? Probably.

No reports back from those for whom it was problematic doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s never been a problem. Sources of ignition are to be avoided

3 Likes

Why wouldnt you just get another bucket and a pump. be safe about it as much as possible. Putting something plugged in that sits in water thats touching steel full of explosive liquid.
All it takes is a bad ground or malfunction of the heating element.

Does that sound safe.

6 Likes

I guess my question was more as whether or not itā€™s commonplace than safe. I donā€™t see a way to make a sous vide work with one pump and two buckets (one for collection, one for sous vide). So being that they seem to be all the rage, Iā€™m assuming all you guys have jacketed collections? If one doesnā€™t have a jacketed collection, an inline heater like this would be much easier to plumb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1CL1TP/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_i8hREbXFM85DG

Ok. Splurge. Get 2 pumps.
If your outside just let the bucket overflow. Or attach a barb to the bottom of your bucket pushing with a pump and a barb to the top pulling with a pump.

1 Like

Woah Slabby, Iā€™m not made of money over here

2 Likes

Put the cls bucket above the pump bucket, let cls bucket drain into pump bucket.

2 Likes

Before i had jacketed collection pots, we would use a big tub. With a hole cut in the bottom to drain with a pump pulling. And had hot water piped (hose) directly from the water heater. We would pull the water out with the pump as it came in naturally from the heater.
That pump lead to a drain so it was not a closed loop

1 Like