2 Fires in 3 Days Help!

id get this out of there, most professional wood shops wont even allow pcv dust extraction tubes because it can cause an explosion with all the saw dust. have you ever used a shop vac and after using it you notice all the dust stuck on the outside of the hose? thats a static charge caused by the dust rubbing on the inner walls as the dust is sucked up. i hope you figure out your issue bro and im glad your alive and able to talk about it

5 Likes

Why don’t you go on a vacation?

Is the duct grounded? The one I have has a ground that runs through it? Also if you are using the air handler for incoming air it is likely that gas is pooling in the room. Do you have sensors anywhere? I cannot see any in the photo.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear & see this. I don’t have much advice to offer unfortunately though. Hope shit gets better for you brother

2 Likes

@Chewwie no at the moment the exhaust duct is not grounded
Since last night its come to my attention even pex attracts dust like @TJMON said about the vacuum lines. Lots to change around the lab. Im focused on the waterlines now being a risk.

After reaching out to @Crash I have noticed one similarity to another friend who had issues with a pour catching fire . Low relative humidity and pex water line(also improper grounding in my friends case) . Anyone else using PEX water line for their hot water set up ? Im thinking copper water lines may be the best option due to the ease of grounding them .

I really want to help our friend out @pdxcanna or @Dukejohnson could you please give a brother a spoon and explain how to take a multi meter and check for continuity on a system properly. Making sure everything is properly bond and ground.

Im thinking the issue has got to be ground related and the low relative humidity is really making the problem become apparent. There is only so many potential sources of iginiton . The pour itself is creating static charge and sparking due to it not being properly grounded , the water lines could be potentially building up stactic charge , or the operator’s clothing could be an issue . I just really want to help dig to the root of this problem because it has been a problem for a good amount of people at this point , and for others not at all mainly just by luck . So we need to help make this info more well known !

4 Likes
6 Likes

So does that mean we need to start lining the Teflon hoses with those ?

Nope.

Ptfe hoses can already be had in a static dissipative configuration.

Those were a suggestion for replacing the pex water lines…

2 Likes

“Rosin press explosion” has zero results…Be safe!

*Requires good product and time. Avoid where prohibited.

Hydraulic oil injection injuries are pretty awful in their own right

3 Likes

On hand
20lber is Dry chemical class 6-A :80-BC
(Multipurpose dry chemical B/C)

2lber Dry Chemical Class 5 BC

As for the other 10 im getting back now tmrw im unsure what they are. There was 10 empty ones kicking around the property. I grabbed em all and sent em for refilling

2 Likes

Some rubber Mats could come in handy. I have noticed a static electricity problem in a collection pot after leaving cold extraction sit unpoured overnight. Next day conditions were warmer about 60f and I immediately noticed a strong static current from touching pot including a spark. Grounded/binded everything, cleaned room and floors, put down anti static rubber mats and never noticed it again.

5 Likes

First - I’m glad you are alive. I’m glad you are sharing. I’m glad you are working on keeping yourself safe. Thank you. You could be saving lives just by talking about this. <3

Any chance you have it on video. pan vs spout could be very different things.

Did you change your gaskets? A different material? A different supplier?

On day 3 - were you having the same slow pour as on day 1? Was there a slow pour happening on Day 2?

Were you wearing the same kind of shirt on both days? Polyester is notorious for building up static - if you are wearing it near other materials. And even if its just rubbing against itself.

I agree with the others assessment that your duct may be building up charge - and then if you touch it, you are then carrying some of that charge with you, so if its flexible (it look flexible) that could contribute.

Also - since you were having HVAC issues (sounds like still are) its possible that you always have static build up but that on good days when the air is moving the right way you never build up enough butane to ignite. You do have to have all three - enough fuel, enough oxygen, and enough spark to flame on.

Its possible you are having build up. Using a multi-meter to look for grounds will help (so the static has somewhere to go).

You should do the same for yourself - people build up a lot with their movement depending on shoes and clothes they are wearing. There are shoes, wrist bands, mats you can stand on.

You can even have a spot in the room that you touch periodically to discharge yourself (that’s what the shoes/wristbands do anyway…)

I know you said the skid is all grounded - but it doesn’t look obvious from your photos - so really going through the process of checking to make sure would help.

Special attention to - skids on wheels (wheels love to build up), any hoses (notorious because so much is flowing through them to build up charge), if you have one part grounded on your assembly but you are not certain of the connection between each piece (for instance, your clamps are aluminum…because reasons…)

I’m so glad you are hear and talking about this. I’m so glad that you are safe and these fires did not kill you. <3

Thank you for sharing.

8 Likes

It may be hard to achieve with constant airflow, but raising humidity can reduce static buildup to almost nothing. If that is not a possibility, you must remove everything that can buildup a static charge, think plastics, and ground everything conductive, think metal and yourself via ground wrist strap. Same stuff electronics manufactures do to keep static from frying semiconductors…

1 Like

Money has been more than tight.

Pretty clearly addressed in the main body of the post.

I thought he was referring to the money of the business, and I don’t think you need to have money to go on a vacation. Probably should have taken a few days off after the first one.

2 Likes

So much truth in this. Poverty and debt can lead to all kinds of things happening that would not otherwise happen.

Its the sixth M in the 6Ms - Mother Nature. Something crazy happens. Your brain is not quite right. You don’t quite have the time to do all the checks because your distracted and think you did but you didn’t. You forget your static shoes or your bracelet. You wear the wrong shirt, because really its a functional shirt, but not quite the right one.

And all the while the environment is changing and are you in the right state of mind to notice the changes like you usually would - if the answer is not 100% yes.

Then take a break. Take a staycation. Ask someone who isn’t dealing with the dire straights to come and do the work with you. Slow down. Work the checklist (if you have one printed, even the better physically check the boxes).

I cannot tell you how many people I have seen hurt because they were not in their right mind to be doing hazardous work.

And let us not forget what we are doing - as simple as it can become - is hazardous work.

As hazardous as testing munitions or doing explosive demolition.

So take a breath @Crash we’re glad you are here and we want you to keep breathing.

6 Likes

damn man im sorry to hear that!! Glad to hear you are safe tho! i would forsure make sure that scale is C1D1 or get rid of it all together, they dont have to all weigh the exact same do they?

2 Likes