1st SPD run - mantle stuck at 190, head at 50

Good catch. Damn. That would help.

Yes - 5L

Ran out of dry ice. Started with 8 pounds, but it all melted

This has bad news written all over it. I would keep vac running and then temps off and let get to room temp. You are only going to damage what’s left that’s good stuff. You have leaks and your pump is soaked and unable to remove molecules from your head/flask. You should maintenance your setups and start over.

8 Likes

Your problem is most likely to little crude in the flask (for a newbie)
The vapor pressure created is to little to make it push trough
Either get a heat gun And make all glass wear hot
Or better yet get 2,5 liters of starting material

1 Like

Thanks for the input everyone. Good learning lessons for other noobs, I guess. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Not all is lost :grin:
Try to. Shorten vac lines to the necessary as @Killa12345 advised
Check your stir bar function when hot
Work with aluminum foil and the insulating material in between
and have a peek every now and then
Heat gun at hand

1 Like

Having the same issues. First off, During the ethanol recovery (using falling film from Colorado extraction) my spinner got stuck. the pot kept filling with oil and crusted up on me bad. Brown. Vac was 69 Torr constant. Had to empty the almost totally brown chunk of oil and heated up to 120/130 purging the rest of the ethanol out. bubbles stopped and was calm after an hour or so.
When i dumped it into SP, and started ramping i realized my thermo probe was broken and called way too much heat to the flask and didn’t stop. Stopped everything , got it all to room temp, repeated. tried this 3 times and still cant get it to “pop” and stay popped. She popped at (head temp 192) rose to 201/2 and then fell to 60. hung out, went all the way back up and dripped more. on the 3rd time falling, she couldn’t/didn’t rise again. Im also new to SP, and ran maybe 50 or so runs but have not had this happen. Open to any ideas or thoughts?

1 Like

Might be the same problem. My crude was winterized but not “polished” degummed or deterped. So, the question is: is it impossible to turn to distillate or just takes much much longer?

You can make clear distillate from ethanol extracted crude that has sugars in it. It is slower as the crud acts as insulation making your temps a little less reliable and harder to maintain on the heating mantle. You can not have any leaks; if you are going through 5 lbs of dry ice in 12 hours that is good, more than that and your leak is causing air to come in, get heated, hit the trap, melt/waste your dry ice.

Remove the insulation from the vapehead where the water is. This is an acceptable place to lose heat. You also will be running the water through there at 50c or so when you hit the CBD frac to ensure the head doesn’t clog. The rest of your insulation is an inspiration, and I would love to have it on my setup.

Try putting teflon tape around the point where the rubber gasket will tighten on the thermometer. You are using grease on the joints? Be sure to spin/rub it in not just grease and insert. That vac looks like it should pull strong even with a leak or two.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply. Your comments are incredibly helpful. I will do my best to hunt for leaks. I do use grease on the joints and spin after inserting. I was mixing my dry ice with acetone - is that right?

The insulation is just an old furniture moving blanket/pad. It’s pretty thick and I cut it to fit over the BF.

Thanks again for all your help. I’ll be taking another shot in a couple days when I get a new circulating pump, shorter bellows and flush out my vac pump.

Make sure that blanket wrapped on the bf doesnt catch fire. The mantle is a very hot source. ive had fireplace rope get sure toasty after a 7hr run.

Is it better to have aluminum foil on the boiling flask before the insulation or outside of the insulation? Or does it matter?

I have a fire extinguisher right next to my set up just in case. Thanks

1 Like

Insulation material that s safe is fiber
Glass cloth
But several layers of alu foil also does the job
Be carefull with what you are using

1 Like

Fireplace/oven rope
Tin foil
Those fancy bf and head thermal covers (just upgraded)

Got it. :+1:

dont forget to check your stirbar too! make sure shes a churning

3 Likes

I have found the fireplace rope works a hell of a lot better than tin foil

6 Likes

Did you use only dry ice in your cold trap, or do you add alcohol or acetone?

I’ve only used DI in my cold trap and never any issues

Dosent it last longer with iso or acetone?