1Gal/hr small scale ffe help!

Probably better off spending more on surface area and a bigger pump at higher temp for the throughput but that’s just a guess. Surface area is cheaper than BTUs at -40

3 Likes

But, back to the case on hand Mr. Pickle, if you want to pump VLT isopropyl, you should be able to pump VLT isopropyl. Try pumping without any of the plumbing attached first and work from there. If you can get the stuff to flow through the pump alone, getting it through the pipes shouldn’t be too tough.

Also I’m sure I need not say this but you should probably get some insulation lol

1 Like

Use your vacuum to pull your feed into your heated tubes instead of a pump? Use a mist nozzle rated for the -psi you’ll be pulling to maximize surface area. I’d also recommend heating your feed to make sure it’s near evap temperature to maximize the utility in your surface area.

Maybe put a small mantle or heating plate on your receiving flask/catch as well to spin out any extra solvent as well as throw a bit of heat into it if you’re going to run batch. If you’re going continuous then a gear pump would likely be necessary to pull your oil out.

Lastly, a DIY chiller from an AC unit might be a much cheaper and more efficient option. -18 to -25 is probably great, and the works at a high efficiency at those temperatures for the price.

3 Likes

Super saline and dry ice gets to - 20° and if you have an igloo cooler you can drill holes to plumb in some hosing for the pump.

Who knows if all goes well I’ll sell my RotoVap

1 Like

Totally agree, just want to see it running first before I insulate. This beauty I’ve built has not run at all yet. I’ve got a call with @Soxhlet tomorrow for some assistance

2 Likes

you free in an hour?

1 Like

Wanna shoot for 10 pacific time?

1 Like

Hi,
10 pm works for me.

1 Like

why is it a looP
why not make it serpentine?

This I could easily do… I’ve just had my head in my ass a bit…

Cut a 55 gallon drum in half with a 5 gallon bucket inside

1 Like

Worked like a charm for the little setup I had going!

1 Like