1Gal/hr small scale ffe help!

Can’t push the micelle or the heat transfer fluid?

I know they’re primarily used for drying slurries to make powdered APIs, I think maybe it was to do with the heat transfer surface getting fouled by oil and reducing capacity.

I can’t get my pumps to move the fluid. I know you guys have gotten mag drive pumps to work with dry ice slurries, but it just won’t do it

Sounds like a priming issue TBH. Have you tried elevating your reservoir? Open bath I assume?

1 Like

I’m interested in building a small throughput tabletop ffe too, rotors are extremely heavy/bulky. Following.

2 Likes

Jacketed splatter platter 6×2
That’s connected to either a jacketed 6×6 column or just a regular 6×6 columm
Jacketed shotgun condenser
Jacketed 90° bend
Another jacketed shotgun condenser and a 6×12 jacketed base.

Both bases have hemi lids.

Yes?

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed, I’d be happy with a 5-15gal/hr table top system

So the more inner tubes in the shotgun condenser the more heating and cooling you need, right?

What temp?
What fluid?

1 Like

You’re trying to pump in too many directions

Pump it through one continuous stream, don’t be splitting the flow like that

3 Likes

Or use one pump per condenser
Or orient the flow so that you don’t have that sharp 90 degree cutoff and instead adopt a y shaped manifold so that the back pressure isn’t raised and makes your pump work that much harder

Also the way the flow joins back together can’t be good for back pressure either, esp when trying to initially flood the system- not enough room for all that air to escape

Your drain port should be way wider

2 Likes

how big should the shotgun condensers be? like a 2x18 going to a 3x18 do i want the second one to be longer than the first one? is bigger in diameter better ?

It’s about the surface area, number of tubes, diameter of tubes, length

2 Likes

Trust me, i fucked with it a lot. I don’t think it was a priming issue

Heat exchangers come down to two things essentially: surface area and “theta”. More surface area means more heat exchange of course but the theta has to do with how well heat is exchanged for a given delta-t. Here’s the wiki on it (essentially the same as the theoretical plate in a distillation column): NTU method - Wikipedia

1 Like

I’ve done it before, but I put the liquid I’m using as transfer fluid in a container, then I put that container into another bigger bucket with my dry ice/ iso slurry.

That way your transfer fluid doesn’t have co2 in it. Lemme find an old video I saw that on to explain it better.

2 Likes

Were you able to pump the slurry just out of the reservoir back into itself? Like remove all the other gear and see if it’ll just move liquid

Edit: at the 1:16 mark you’ll see what I’m talking about.

2 Likes

-60c to -80c isopropyl

You probs don’t need it that cold unless you’re evaporating with pretty high vac-

3 Likes

I know, but when shooting for 5-6lbs of recovery a min. I need as much cooling power as possible.

My thought is to hit it with -80 and then maintain -40 with a working load