$17k for an HPLC? This is suspiciously inexpensive

Most standards are fairly easy to get. The more exotic standards require that DEA license.

Very easy to get standards actually… even the company that sell that machine, sent me in Switzerland directly… here some picture and the calibration mixture chroma…

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Looks like a really sweet setup man! It’s nice to see analytical equipment coming down to a price that is more affordable for us little folk!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s very good for research and development. We are doing a lot of job in remediation, degradation, and cannabinoids. It’s very good to have a in-house solution that we can trust. Also we can in-house keep an eye on quality standards in our products (distillates, crumbles, waxes and gummy bears). Anyway the machine by itself without the method and the rebranding is very cheap, re-seller in Europe sell it at around 7k. The injector is a original Rheodyne one. The pump seems ok and detector too (it can be adjusted on all the wavelengths and can do also scanning) .

2 Likes

I find having our GC-FID has been incredibly vital for our method development and QC as well. It is so sweet being able to work up a sample and have results within 15min.

5 Likes

How much can cost a GC machine refurbished?
And how much cost to mantain that?

So I bought the 310MM GC-FID from SRI. They can be had for less than 10k new with less features. I paid ~13k for mine which included solvent column and backflush as well. The only issue I have had so far cropped up last week. Still diagnosing the problem. Other than that I have been very impressed with the separation and sensitivity of the unit. As far as cost of ownership, I am unsure in the long run. Everything I have bought so far have been tools and consumables.

4 Likes

I’ve seen used agilent systems for 8k

3 Likes

How well does Agilent support their used systems? If you didn’t buy from them will they still offer support and troubleshooting help?

We’ve struggled with our 310-MM a bit, but we’re likely leaning on it a fair bit harder than most.

Slightly dodgy hydrogen generator connections can make for some really creative results. We spent about a month chasing issues in that area.

Centrifuging or filtering your samples will (allegedly) substantially increase the life of your column.

We’ve got our method down to 7 minutes per test (with the restek 9 component standard), which is pretty hard to beat.

We’ve got an Agilent 1100 on order for a bit under $10k USD.

Having both the HPLC and the GC on hand will be great for when one or the other decides to get cranky.

We get our support through local (ish) chromatography supply/service companies, though I’m sure Agilent will happily take large amounts of dollars if you ask them to.

Between a good service company and the LC Troubleshooting Bible you should be in a pretty good place.

3 Likes

I don’ t know of any major manufacturer that supports used system purchases. This was from a third party who only dealt with agilent 1100 systems so they sold service plans and scrapped used systems for parts when needed.

1 Like

To be perfectly honest, we have mostly been using ours as a qualitative measurement rather than leaning on the quantitative results it generates. I am very new to sample workup, and it has been challenging to reliably extract from complex matrices. We still send off for COAs for our edibles as it has been difficult getting “accurate” results from what we have been testing. I am certain that the machine can do it, and I believe that when we get better at sample workup we will definitely be able to lean on it more.

1 Like

Yeah if you’re dealing with edibles and other oddball matrices that’s a whole different ball game. We’re about 90% extracts and 10% flower testing, so our lives are a lot easier in that respect.

5 Likes

That’s kind of what I was figuring. I bought new from SRI, but they are knowledgeable/nice enough that I would wager that they would offer pretty decent support for used equipment as well. I get the feeling that they take pride in their equipment and would rather have them in service than sitting on shelves collecting dust due to lack of support. Correct me if I am wrong, @srihugh1!

2 Likes

Yeah, that is the one thing I’d change on our SRI…and I need another source of H2 anyway if I’m gonna get an auto-injector hooked up to it.

1 Like

I do think SRI needs to redesign that H2 generator - with all stainless in place of the rubber/plastic/acrylic bits perhaps? - before I’ll recommend the 310 to anyone with a full R&D program/workload. It’s a fantastic tool if you’re doing a couple of samples per day/week. It feels like asking it to do a full 8-10 hour workload every day is a bit more than it is entirely happy with/designed to do.

We’ve spent a lot of time making ours happy with the extended workouts, and eventually I’ll be posting for the class what we’ve done to make it happier - but I can’t wait until our 1100 arrives.

1 Like

I do agree that I wish that the res for the SRI wasn’t so… dodgy. I mean it does work but I’ll always prefer stainless over this stuff:

@cyclopath what issues have you had with your H2 generator? I haven’t noticed any issues yet. Other than having to refill it a couple times a day.

2 Likes

Most recently we had the epoxy/connections in this area spring a tiny tiny leak.