$17k for an HPLC? This is suspiciously inexpensive

I think we all know that you don’t always get what you pay for.

But also, if you don’t pay for something, you’re certainly not getting it.

The existence of the SRI 310 tells me that it’s certainly possible to do a cheap and robust and accurate analytical tool.

People who know about these things: does this HPLC look too cheap? It showed up in my spam folder this morning.

$17k for the base unit, or an extra $9k to bundle in an autosampler.

3 Likes

Lol… the name of the url hurts

Even more rough the website on mobile…

Gonna spare myself and post this here

USD14,990 – USD16,990

Got a CRYPTO? We accept cryptocurrency as a method of payment.

Financing Available starting at around USD317/month – learn more here.

No PhD? No Problem!

This simple-to-use HPLC is suitable for use by those without prior laboratory experience or science background.

HPLC = high performance liquid chromatography

convenience – do in-house analysesanalyze plant, extracts, edibles, beverageseasy to follow instructionsreliable performancelong-term useaccurate resultscompact size (18x9x10.5 inch)optimized for cost at $5 ~ $10/test

Sample Report – Flower (click here)

Sample Report – Concentrate (click here)

Brochure – Download here

Application Note – Biomass (click here)

Supporting Technical Information – Download here

11 Cannabinoids tested:

(-)-Δ9-THC
(-)-Δ8-THC
(-)-trans-Δ9-THC acid A (THCA)
Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Cannabidiol (CBD)
Cannabidiolic acid (CBDA)
Cannabidivarin (CBDV)
Cannabigerol (CBG)
Cannabigerolic acid (CBGA)
Cannabinol (CBN)
(+/-) Cannabichromene (CBC)

Mycotoxins: (Coming soon)
Aflatoxin B1
Aflatoxin B2
Aflatoxin G1
Aflatoxin G2

HPLC with temperature-controlled column compartment150mm C18 column with guard column holder and cartridgeAccessories for installation and maintenanceIntuitive HPLC softwarePeak Auto Detection Proven, tested, and validated test methodsCalibration curvesCalibration logSample receiving logCustomer logMaintenance logSample Preparation ProtocolsStandard Operating Procedure (SOP)Customizable Reporting System (Managed in MS Excel)Easy-to-follow InstructionsManualTrainingTechnical Support

Starter Kit contains everything you need to get going right away. There are 29 items in the starter kit (major items listed below).

Commercial calibration standards1L HPLC buffer1L HPLC grade Methanol1L HPLC grade Acetonitrile1L HPLC grade Water3x100mL HPLC mobile phase bottle1x500mL HPLC mobile phase bottle100uL Hamilton microsyringe2.5mL Hamilton microsyringe2x5mL calibrated volumetric pipette15mL calibrated volumetric pipette20mL calibrated volumetric pipette100mL calibrated volumetric flaskGlassware100×1.8mL autosampler vials with PTFE/silicone cap100x16mL glass vial for extractionPrecision digital analytical scale (0.001g accuracy)Nitrile gloves, labels

Lower Limit of Quantification (LLOQ)

The lower limit of quantification (LLOQ) is the lowest amount of a cannabinoid in a sample that can be quantitatively determined with suitable precision and accuracy using the corresponding method and dilution rates. All values below this threshold are reported as NR – None Reported.

CompoundPlant LLOQ (%,w/w)High % Concentrate LLOQ (%,w/w)Δ9-THC0.030.04Δ8-THC0.030.06Δ9-THCA0.030.06THCV0.030.04CBD0.030.03CBDA0.030.03CBDV0.030.03CBG0.030.03CBGA0.030.03CBN0.030.03CBC0.030.05Note: LLOQ values are dependent on sample dilution. These are values for standard methods but can be modified with dilution in case of need.

Reproducibility of results

Below are results of measuring a typical hemp sample, followed by an image of stacked 3 consecutive measurements. There are two observations from this measurement:

The retention times are consistent and repeatable, giving the confidence in the ability to correctly identify the correct cannabinoids.The measured concentrations are very repeatable as indicated by height/area of each peak. The calculated relative standard deviation (RSD) in this case ranges from 1.19% to 1.70%, while for cannabinoids with very low concentrations manifested as very small peaks (in this sample CBN, d9-THC, and d9-THCA) the calculated RSD ranges from 4.62% to 5.63%. In case of need to further refine the latter 3 compounds and improve both accuracy and RSD, the sample would simply be less diluted resulting in higher peaks for these 3 compounds.

Cannabis Testing Simplified CBD sample

Next product
USD25,990

Got a CRYPTO? We accept cryptocurrency as a method of payment.

Financing Available – learn more here.

No PhD? No Problem!

This simple-to-use HPLC with an autosampler is suitable for high throughput commercial analyses of cannabis samples.

It is suitable for use by those without prior laboratory experience or science background.

HPLC = high performance liquid chromatography

convenience – do in-house analyses on a commercial scale; suitable for commercial labs to expand their capacityanalyze plant, extracts, edibleseasy to follow instructionsreliable performancelong-term useaccurate resultsoptimized for cost and throughput

Cannabinoids tested:

(-)-Δ9-THC
(-)-Δ8-THC
(-)-trans-Δ9-THC acid A (THCA)
Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Cannabidiol (CBD)
Cannabidiolic acid (CBDA)
Cannabidivarin (CBDV)
Cannabigerol (CBG)
Cannabigerolic acid (CBGA)
Cannabinol (CBN)
(+/-) Cannabichromene (CBC)

Mycotoxins: (Coming soon)
Aflatoxin B1
Aflatoxin B2
Aflatoxin G1
Aflatoxin G2

Their Instagram is even worse. Check it out — 2083 posts of pure JUNK.

https://www.instagram.com/cannabistestingsimplified/

They just re-post the same 8 mids strains hundreds of times.

@Lincoln20XX when a company has an “affiliate” program, where ANYONE can sell this instrumentation, a ton of red flags come up. I don’t know anyone with this “HPLC” but would love to know if at least someone has one.

3 Likes

I’m gonna go on record as saying I think this is likely 100% junk.

But my wallet really wants it to not be…

5 Likes

I could picture this in an ag setting to track conversions but nothing else. Still very interesting to look at.

1 Like

Ah yes a bot account reposting on shuffle the same folder of bullshit. Nothing says you tried harder than seeing reposted content.

2 Likes

Actually one of my clients bought a chinese HPLC that is even cheaper than this one. And it actually works well too.

9 Likes

I do like the sound of that…

2 Likes

Link for all

4 Likes

I dont work for this company or have anything to gain from plugging them, but you might wanna try out american lab trading for used agilent 1100s. They’re actually a legitimate company the refurbished analytical and offer some sort of warranty, and its usually like good name brand equipment.

Dont buy whatever is on that link, that equipment is trash.

7 Likes

Yeah I think you can get used Agilent 1100s all day in that price range. These guys are bad at answering the phone (https://cal-l.com/), but I was quoted ~$16.5k for a Agilent 1100 UV-VIS a couple years ago. You can definitely get something better for that price range.

1 Like

I see working agilents 1100 go for 7-15k pretty often on the used market.

If anyone is seriously interested i can reach out to the few that had them.

4 Likes

I have quite a bit of experience setting up and training teams in various HPLC and HPGC situations… College trained on how to use an agilent and other fun analytical stuffs.

This is just a simplified HPLC that is catered to cannabis needs. Offers simpler access to the pumps, column, etc… And potentially dummies down the operational complexity.

This is the first time I’ve seen this though, so I have no idea about the build quality, parts available, software quality, etc…

These are all important things to consider before purchasing an HPLC, you dont want a unit that is TOO complex for your application and run into costly repair/maintenance programs down the line. Seen that happen many times.

The simpler HPLC`s are actually BETTER in my opinion. Less operator error possibilities, better potential industry specific support, cheaper parts cost, etc… The list goes on.

Lots of operators dont have a techy/chemistry capable employee and just want to mix solvent A and B and vortex, and boom theres your prep ready for injection. They dont even have a care to study the solvent types, column types, etc…

You just need to vette the product, INCLUDING the interface software. And parts availability. And customer support availability… And etc…

Any more questions DM me.
Available for consults if you want deeper information or my recommendation for product selection.

9 Likes

We are moving away from HPLC except for testing of plant material. If your main need is testing plant material then an HPLC is great to have.

If you’re going to be testing distillates and other complex materials that do not contain acids, then I recommend looking into a used Agilent GC-FID for a similar price as the used Agilent HPLC people are mentioning above.

11 Likes

Would this be an upgrade over the SRI 310mm GC-FID we’ve already got on hand?

3 Likes

:slight_smile: @Dr_Jebril with the gcfid game on lock

4 Likes

We have an Agilent GC-FID, so that is why I mentioned it.

I haven’t used the SRI, but it seems like plenty of people find it useful. No need to get a different instrument unless you are running into limitations.

@moveweight we should’ve listened to @Dr_Jebril from the beginning!

6 Likes

I pay attention a pinch

Want all the fancy tools

1 Like

buy a refurbished unit. There are lots of firms that buy shit tons of agilent or other brands and strip them for parts. You can get a functioning agilent 1200 unit with a service plan/warranty for about that much.

1 Like