1.5 Triclamp BHO Recovery?

If not ptfe lined inside will be dirty as hell n hard to clean. Ive ordered similar one before. Just sits around now

1 Like

The autoclave wont clean it?

Ultrasonic is best. Autoclaves are good for sterilizing but not so good at actually removing soils

3 Likes

While this is an item we deal with, probably not me.
We have some 2" ones that haul ass!

1 Like

The sideways collection pot system is the bhogart model. They also employ a vapor draw off line to recycle headspace from their recovery tank back to the collection, but if you donā€™t open it up right it doesnā€™t work. Never had one in hand but Iā€™ve walked a few guys through making them work.

@TheGratefulPhil Iā€™m really interested to see what kind of calculations values you come up with on dual half inch recovery lines with their own condensing coils and dumping into the same recovery pot.

The biggest thing I keep wondering is if weā€™re going to accidentally create this vapor loop that bhogart is intentionally creating, or if weā€™ll successfully achieve two full capacity vapor paths. The recovery tank isnā€™t actually the coldest part in the recovery path, the coils are, so Iā€™ve been debating that for quite some time now.

Iā€™d like to point out I never see any reflux so it doesnā€™t appear Iā€™m generating more vapor than a half inch recovery line can handle even with 3kw of heat energy being applied. Mind you there also isnā€™t any guarantee Iā€™ve got sufficient surface area to make use of the heat energy Iā€™m applying either. Ughā€¦ thermodynamics.

Edit: I think Iā€™m really just banking on even if the coils are what fill with liquid the pressure building in the collection should be sufficient, as long as my recovery tank is also fairly cold, to push the liquid into the collection, but then thereā€™s the catchā€¦ if one coil empties first that pressure just gets transferred to the recovery tank, path of least resistance and all thatā€¦ but the pressure being generated is also being removed by the coil as it passes through it. Fuck.

3 Likes

I think dual coils works well with my system because my recovery tank is pulling vac the whole time.

6 Likes

Like below 0 the whole time?

Yeah.

5 Likes

how are you getting your recovery tank that cold?

2 Likes

Dry ice and denatured alcohol

2 Likes

Sleeved I take it?

1 Like

No, just a perfectly sized Bucket/trash can

Lol

Injection coil and recovery coils all go in a Home Depot drink cooler.

5 Likes

So in the picture is that a triclamp fitting or the edge of your trashcan?

1 Like

Edge of trash can

Only tri clamp fittings In picture is the 6ā€ solvent tank ā€œlidā€ and 2ā€ site glasses (might be 1.5, I canā€™t remember off the top)

2 Likes

That is a nice tight fit. Makes sense for sure then. I like to use only about as much dry ice in my recovery tank as I intend the fluid level to reach so thereā€™s always a little headspace to fight, but then I use a small vessel, buried in dry ice to draw off that headspace continuously.

3 Likes

do you add heat to the collection? I usually have pressure in the collection so for it to be below zero in the tank confuses me unless you are running butane. I run 70/30, I also run higher ratios of tane to material like over 10-1 With the tank frozen like that are you doing multiple runs in a row?

As long as youā€™re surface heating area can keep up with evaporation and you chilling methods keep up with the evaporation rate, go as big as you can (safely of course, with the right valves for said sizes). If it helps, and your set up is stationary (evaporators wonā€™t move from the connected recovery lines going to back to the solvent tank) I personally would go 2ā€ swagelok tube ā€œfull boreā€ all the way. Brewers Hardware makes awesome tri clamps x oversized NPT fittings. And most Swagelok branches offer in house CNC tube bending services if you donā€™t know how or just want perfect bends. Just make sure youā€™re CAD is great.

On mine, Iā€™m using 1ā€ that TEEs away into 2 heat exchangers (3/8ā€ coils) which after it hits the heat exchangers, I TEE the two 3/8ā€ lines running away from those into a 1/2ā€ tube end braided swagelok hose going back to my solvent (my solvent tank rolls around).

The main thing on any system is evaporation surface area, and surface areas to chill said evaporation (with enough power on both sides of evap/condensing) I donā€™t know much, just know thermodynamics of the solvents and what makes the solvents happy (stable).

1 Like

I run swagelok valves the swgelok factory is across from my dry ice supply.

5 Likes

I used a water cooler with a spout today for my dry ice and tank. I covered the tank in dry ice and then poured 24 Oz of Acetone evenly down the sides. 1/4" line, no coil, jacketed base set to 90.5Ā°f, 1/2" lines for the jacket on the base. I watched my collection drop from 30 psi to 1 so quick it was insanity. 8mins total for my recovery.

You can recover you solvent that you used for your dry ice afterwards using the spout. @StoneD taught me that one.

4 Likes

Of course I heat my collection. I usually let pressure in collection build to 30-60 psi before I start recovering. My recovery tank is empty and chilled with vac pulled. I then start recovery. The solvent tank will stay at full vac the entirety of the recovery process.

I have recovery coils inline before my solvent tank for condensing my solvent before it ever enters my recovery tank. The recovery tank being chilled just allows it to stay at vac, which then pulls the condensed solvent thatā€™s in the coils into the recovery tank.

Meaning your recovery will fucking ripā€¦

In regards to your question about how do I start another run with a frozen tank, simple: nitrogen. And it actually helps with the next run because the solvent is already COLD, so I donā€™t have to add any new DI on my injection coil.

Hope this answers your question.

Note: Iā€™m running isobutane currently, but this also works with propane or nbutane, zero difference minus the extra dry ice usage with propane and the need for Extra heat on collection for nbutane.

2 Likes