Will nitrogen compress butane gas into a liquid or just push liquid?

It’s not that hard to do all of this, but this seems beyond you…

1 Like

Shouldn’t it just blow out of my prv if the tank pressures rise ? Obviously would like to avoid the whole situation all together tho .

1 Like

In my mind I thought 65-70 psi on the nitrogen regulator would be enough to condense what ever gas are stuck in my system . Assuming I’m incorrect? How much pressure would it take ? ( not that I would ever let my system go above the pressures mentioned above )

So saying I would need to remove the heat created by the phase change or else I would need higher and higher pressures until I eventually reached a unsafe amount of pressure necessary to condense the butane ? I run everything in ice or dry ice but I still get pressure from butane gas .

It will not. Keep in mind you will never condense ALL or even most of the gas unless you raise it to a pressure where the boiling point is below ambient temperature. And even then it will take time unless you’re way above.

Gotta switch to dry ice or a chiller for good rates. Also look into a jacketed collection, a sous vide, a stainless magnetic driven pond pump, fittings and hoses. Or if you want you could just do the poor mans jacket like I posted before, which is drilling 1/2" holes into a homer bucket (and/or appropriate size bucket to fit your collection) and then adding washers, shut-offs and quick connects. … Vapor generation is important not just chilling capacity.

I freeze my tank in dry ice. But when it hits my collection and my crc ( sometimes my material column if not cold enough ) I get some gas pressures that build up to the point where they drastically slow or completely halt the flow rate of the liquid tane filling my collection . To combat this I will bleed off the gas into the atmosphere . Was hoping the nitrogen push would be enough to condense these gasses back to liquid . Honestly I’m Only slightly less confused as when I made the thread tho lol . I appreciate everyone’s input tho :pray:

Did you watch the OSS demo?

Yea I didn’t hear him mention anything about condensing butane gas with the nitrogen tho

if you just dry ice slurry ur solvent tank or use a coil the solvent will be so cold the nitro will push it into the collection making the collection that temp just long enough for you to vent off

3 Likes

It will be enough to move your already condensed N-Tane through your column as that’s the main function of the nitrogen push. When you freeze n-tane you get 0psi because there’s no pressure or the flow rates get stifled and need to add pressure. Most people use it to just push the stuck liquid solvent through their dewaxing column.

If you’re using a dry ice sleeved column, and you load your column with already prechilled butane that has pressure, that pressure is likely to drop in the column as soon as the pre-chilled n-tane floods the column, at which point you need to push the butane.

The nitrogen gas is not a subzero substance, it does not condense anything it’s purely just inert compressed air.

2 Likes

Yea the main reason I was interested in the nitrogen gas was to push my liquid butane . I was just curious if it wouldn’t also condense the little bit of butane gas that gets stuck in my collection or if I still need to vent that off into the atmosphere

I use dry ice on my tank but I still end up with pressures in my collection chamber . Didn’t no if I would still need to vent these pressures ( gasses ) off into the atmosphere when using nitrogen , or if the nitrogen pressure would be enough to condense the gas

I think you might get a condensing effect from the left over cold temps from the column but you have to burp the nitrogen before you start recovery anyways so I think you should be okay but you want to look into using a slurry of denatured alcohol and dry ice to lower the temps more first and see if that helps.

My best guess at a good answer

yes
if ur pushing dry ice cold solvent w n2 always vent the pressure off the collection the moment injection is done

the reason ppl say they don’t need to chill their collection is bc btw the dry ice cold solvent, dry ice frozen material plus a jacket filled w dry ice … just the SOLVENT moving through all this as already dry iced temp will chill ur collection

I use nitrogen at my tank but I can chill my tank to -70f and I use all the gas every time… if you don’t do this I could see moving it to the top of the material column

2 Likes
3 Likes

Everyone has to start somewhere. Better to ask a stupid question than find out the hard way. Positive vibes your way brother

3 Likes

By pressure do you mean the nitrogen pressure that’s left in the collection after the push is done or vent off butane pressure at the same moment that ur actively pushing the liquid butane with nitrogen ?

it will.

so now you have liquid butane, and 100PSI N2…now what?!?

you want to evaporate that butane and move it back to your storage tank.

HOW?!?

(you’ve made a little more liquid, but you’ve made the pressure problem worse. so how do you get rid of the pressure?).

6 Likes

I was gonna try to stick with 70ish psi on the nitrogen

And I was just going to bleed my nitrogen off into the atmosphere before I collect my butane back into my solvent tank.

But Not sure how I will know when the nitrogen gas is completely bled off and I’m just unnecessarily bleeding off butane gasses ? I know if my collection is cold the butane will have no pressure and I can just bleed off all the nitrogen pressure and I’ll be good. But if the butane is causing pressure I’m not sure how to tell when the nitrogen is completely gone and when I’m just bleeding off butane fumes ?