1.5 gallon stainless dry ice cold trap for SPD

Anyone using one of those little 1.5 gallon stainless dry ice cold traps on a SPD set up? Wondering if I can swap out the glass cold trap for one of those little stainless ones. Stainless makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for the feedback.

this one is designed for the task.

what did you have in mind?

2 Likes

I have used one from cema for yrs and they work great especially if your running full bore

2 Likes

On case you don’t get it, this is not really a good trap. This system will micro plane vapors and recondense them. Making a less efficient trap and slowing down your process and such. The point of a trap is to create highly aminar and effortless vapor pathway. These stainless traps recycle vapors and don’t exactly help at all. Might be useful for a roto but deff not spd for the win. Why spend money on a trap that does 20% of the work a real, decent unit will do…of rather have my trap actually working instead of these piles of shit. My testers had these units and even benched them early on due to issues.

1 Like

This is a literal pile of garbage. Not even remotely designed for the task. It’s bung “design” instantly bypasses scattered vapors while the type of setup as a remote trap for a spd will basically recycle vapors instead of properly.trapping them and encourage pump ejection of molecules.

1 Like

do you offer a stainless trap?

and maybe you can explain why one would not want to condense vapor in a cold trap?

seems to me to be their entire reason for existence…

4 Likes

Summit has tha "Accelerator " trap. 3k. Seems legit. Not convinced of the performance benefits though. Teach me something King!

4 Likes

my bad. never used the device, nor modded the cold trap on an SPD.

“looks like it’s designed for the task”.

as in it has appropriate fittings to be easily integrated (assuming OP has “full bore” setup).

@spdking tells us this one is designed for the task…

1 Like

First of all basic traps work alot better right at the spd, for instance cowed or laminar over. They tend to work more effectively.

Also as you’ve noticed we have moved away from tradition bung traps for a reason.

We can hook you up with a ss trap that can go right on or behind your spd that will actually be worth the money spent on. It’s a advanced trap that mimics the inv cup but it’s stainless …

1 Like

We have a few different options that will work great for you. Check us out at.

IG: @scientific710.com

I think what he was getting at is the catch pot at the bottom will be the warmest part of the system, while under vacuum the liquid can reboil. This can cause the trap to reflux, thereby adding to the vapor pressure inside the system.

This was my interpretation, correct me if I am wrong. :man_shrugging:

Which can be trivially solved by placing the “catch” in dry ice as well.

That would certainly be how I would set any such trap up…

4 Likes

Lol @spdking ur funny. First u say SS cold traps are shit, then offer a SS trap. Make up your mind.
Why doesnt your SS do the microplanethermonuclearhydrophysicological thingy that other one does?

4 Likes

Always necessary to keep the captured condensate at coldest temperature. Otherwise you don’t need or benefit from a cold trap.

There’s a difference between a engineered trap that actually keeps things in place and has features vs a stainless bung where most of your scattered vapors are just bypassing the bung.

Are you doing this with some sorta computer simulation software? How do you measure the differences?

1 Like

Well first of all I’ve actually posted videos of this effect being reproduced.

second a really easy way of doing this is wiring in a diffuser with water in a short path and then pulling vacuum. You can see sorta.

Third is same as second but using sweep gas to encourage the effect further.

1 Like

What video? I’d love to see how different traps effectively work.

4 Likes

sorta see?!? (smoke & mirrors right?)

we are still talking stainless steel cold traps right?

edit: smoke and camera’s works :wink:

3 Likes

Sorta see meaning it’s hard to tell because there isn’t enough cfm in one direction. You can see how the vapor moves the diffusion but it’s not easy. That’s also why I said doing it with sweep gas or even sweeping with air you can actually see what’s happening.