Yield in 3” vs 6” columns?

I totally read that in a Scottish accent…

1 Like

Correct

What size hose is filling the column to avoid long fill times and the spray ball to function properly I use 1/2” hose and orifices and have sufficient butane to run in place

2 Likes

Is it possible to flood from the from the bottom to the top and turn the tube around for it to drain ? To make sure everything gets stripped ?
Like a rotating rack with swivel joints on the hoses.

1 Like

Dangerous af

I need to draw some sort of picture, I dont mean handling the tube with your hands. Just pull a pin, rotate the tube, put the pin back in.
I just woke up, im not explaining my self properly

Just flood the column and drain out the bottom. Rotating pipes sound like a hazard

3 Likes

haha, ok fair enough, im making coffee. Thats enough thought from me.

4 Likes

The trick is to use something fine enough that the liquid actually accumulates on the top. I’ve never tried it but I imagine splitting a 6x48 into two 6x24s with an additional weir in the middle would also help prevent channeling further

2 Likes

As @FicklePickle and @TwistedStill said, it’s only about 2-3%. Same packing tool, same ass behind it. Probably only the ocd folks who notice honestly.

3 Likes

that sounds like a job for quick connects and quick disconnects… in all honesty though a bi-directional flow could suffice

2 Likes

I could have imagined needing a longer soak, but I would never have thought there was a loss when stepping up to 6”.

Thanks for sharing this info y’all.

2 Likes

sounds like solvent saturation to the material. that’s where it’s going. do u refreeze material I think this help from soaking up the fuel and letting it pass thru

Even though mine is a 6x48. I would almost, at times, do smaller runs faster and get a better wash if I could use my smaller material column(it’s not chilled to be ran with cold material) . Over using the large 6" column. It doesn’t give as even distribution of solvent.

4 Likes

Appreciate the info!

Makes me almost want to stick to 4x48’s…

I wanted to switch to 6”, because with my 4” column using socks doesn’t seem to work as intended(they all seem to get stuck in the column, making it even harder to unpack, I have tried a couple different sources lol), also I can’t find anyone who makes a 4” jacketed hemi endcap (to help with recovering the solvent from the bottom of my material column, the only gas I lose in my process is at the bottom of my material column and in my filter stack)

Decisions decisions…

2 Likes

That’s what I do

1 Like

If I tried to get all the solvent out of my material, I would only get one run a day done.

At what I pay for solvent ($4-5lb), if I tried to get the solvent left out of the material before resetting for the next run. I would take as much time as the run took. But, that’s with a big frozen column full of frozen material.

Is it worth the time and effort to get this small amount of solvent out, or is it a personal thing now because you can’t get it out? Which I totally get. But, is your solvent supply that expensive to need to take the extra time?

5 Likes

Naw it’s not that expensive (closer to $8 per/lb for me) more of a personal thing at this point lol

But also, I don’t think it would really inhibit the workflow of my system (after making some adjustments, adding second column and a injection specific solvent tank) I will be recovering the last little bit of gas from my first column while I’m injecting my second column. Like you said, it’s a very minimal amount of solvent, with a little heat at the base of the column (jacket of column heated also, obv.) and my recovery tank pulling close to full vac on the column, I don’t think it would take any longer than the injection portion of my runs. This then leaves me the time that my recovery takes for unpacking and preparing my first column for the next injection.

1 Like

Just buy a couple valves and a hose to run bidirectional. Start from the bottom, soak when full of liquid, then switch the valves to push it all back down from the top.

3 Likes

So, instead of a hemi reducer, what about a 4x4 jackets spool to a flat cap. Valve the jacket so that you can flow water through it when you recover.

3 Likes