WTB Tincture Formulation Consulting

Hello all!

Who I’m looking for: Someone who has a lot of experience with formulating CBD tinctures, specifically maintaining stable emulsions and suspensions.

What I need: Assistance in maintaining melatonin in suspension or solution in a MCT-based CBD tincture, most likely fractionated coconut oil based. My client has a manufacturer that is able to do this, with a dosage of 1.5mg melatonin per mL, and 16.5/33mg CBD per mL. He’s getting screwed by his current manufacturer on pricing, so he came to me for assistance in figuring out the formulation so he can switch to a lower cost manufacturer.

The tincture is manufactured using full-spectrum CBD distillate, with a ~29:1 CBD:THC ratio, along with some minor cannabinoids. I can provide COA’s via DM.

I haven’t found any solvents online that have decent melatonin solubility aside from ethanol, DMSO, and dimethylformamide, none of which are an ingredient used in this tincture. We would really prefer to not have ethanol be an ingredient in this tincture, as my client wants to keep it halal.

There appears to be no settling of any sediment in the current formulation, I can provide additional details if needed.

If you’re who I’m looking for, or you know someone who is, please let me know what the hourly rate is. Thanks for taking the time to read through this :blush:

1 Like

Are they only using distillate, MCT, and melatonin? Ingredients will be listed for your clients formulation.

1 Like

Can probably provide you the assistance you need. Dm me with specific ratios per 1oz and I will try to brainstorm a way to get the melatonin either encapsulated in a surfactant or through use of an emulsification agent.

If youre serious, I can give published media pages a look and mimic an SOP of other commercially used methods at your scale.

Bit bored, been lurking on the forums silently for a little too long now.

Thanks.

Thenaturalengineer

:v:

2 Likes

Ingredient list is:

MCT Oil, Full Spec Hemp Extract, Chamomile Extract, Melatonin, Flavoring

1 Like

I have no problem AT ALL dissolving melatonin into MCT oil. Complete solubility. Start by melting down your melatonin into your MCT oil. Do the rest after you have figured out melatonin into MCT. DM if you need more

7 Likes

What nygma said lol… be selective about the chamomile extract you buy as well, essential oils often have a alcohol/water mix that will make it impossible to homogenize (and some brands keep the plant matter in it as well)

3 Likes

do you know what the solubility is (roughly) in mg/mL? mg melatonin per mL MCT oil.

2 Likes

do you have any companies you’d recommend, or is this general guidance?

1 Like

I regularly do 5mg/ml Melatonin and 20mg/ml CBD. Make sure your Melatonin isnt bound to maltodextrin or any binder or anything

2 Likes
1 Like

Legendary shit my dude! Thank you! And thanks for posting this publicly so it can help other people out as well.

I wasn’t able to find any good info on whether or not melatonin was soluble in MCT. I love the people here so much.