Would this work for terpene distillation?

I’ve read that microwave dry distillation would work for extracting terpenes from flower/biomass so I went looking for a microwave distillation device and ran across this: Mini Portable Best-selling Industrial Microwave Chemical Oven - Buy Microwave Oven,Mini Chemical Reactor,Microwave Chemixal Reactor Product on Alibaba.com

Would that device work to extract terpenes? Also would it degrade cannabinoids?

1 Like

no dry microwave. microwave works by vibrating O-H bond (found in water) and the resulting steam is what pulls your terpenes, a mixture of chemical phenomenon (azeotrope) and physical (the steam physically pulling compounds off the plant)

dont go this route

1 Like

Yup, it absolutely would work. If you use wet or fresh frozen material you’ll only need to add a minimal amount of water. If you’re using dried material you’ll want to figure out a method for adding some water and monitoring your level as the microwave boils it away. This is essentially a glorified mantle and I’ve not noticed any difference in yield or quality between traditional steam terpenes and microwave assisted steam terps.

Thanks, what other equipment would I need to attach to the top?

1 Like

Don’t tell anyone it is pretty easy to make a hole in the top of a microwave oven and make all kinds of interesting gadgets.
Do get a field strength meter to check for microwave emissions if you go McGuyver.

4 Likes

If you have experience with this dm me, I don’t want radiation leaks

1 Like

You how spent material still smells really strong like terps.
I wonder if spent material would work like that

1 Like

McGuyver here, with 4-5 old microwaves in attic. Which of these meters would recommend in the sub-$200 range?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=microwave+field+strength+meter&ref=is_s

Thanks!

I don’t want to encourage Darwinesque activity but necessity is the mother of invention.
Microwave mods
Cheap Field Strength Meters
Microwave leaks are cured by encasing things in grounded wire mesh or foil.
Don’t forget your tin foil hat.

6 Likes

You, fine sir, are a gentleman and scholar. Been hunting for a research article on subject for a while. Should I also make a tin foil cup to keep the junk safe???

2 Likes

Free vasectomy!!

1 Like