Would it be possible to put breeder cuts in seed form?

Wondering if it was technically possible, and if so potentially scalable. As far as uses I could see it competing with tissue culture as a way to preserve the genetic

3 Likes

I would think the only way to do it is make s1 seeds, but even then your not guaranteed to find another exact same pheno.
A great example would be apple fritter.

12 Likes

It takes time, several cycles, a careful eye and nose and a LOT of plants. Imma just read on this one. @Thetetraguy knows much more than I do with this one.

4 Likes

Yes the only way is synthetic seeds (tlc)
Otherwise actually making seeds will not gurantee a homogeneous crop. In fact id bet $100k that any S1 will NOT be homogenous.
It takes 6 or 7 generations atleast to lock in a desired pheno, and even then only 70-80% of ur crop will be what u want. (Not exact numbers and percentages)
Ur best bet, is back crossing back to ur desired pheno with each generation.

5 Likes

25k cuts and like 2 years.

Wish I knew more, but what medicine.grower speaks is truth. Won’t be an exact match, but who’s to say the original grower found the only lotto winner?

4 Likes

I meant an actual clone of the dna. To where the dna would be 100 percent. The same. If we can clone a human by putting the dna in a embryo, I’d think it was possible, albeit expensive to get same cut in seed form

1 Like

Bro your bugging. Cheebas s1 was an exact replica some say better

11 Likes

If u take make an S1, then bred those together, youd be suprised to what happens on the second generation. All of the possible outcomes of that specific phenos gene pairs will be flipped around. You actually get a more diverse expression in the second generation than u do the first, even though ur technically narrowing the gene pool.
Thats why F2s are the best seed stock to buy for pheno hunting, not f1s or any generation after 3

6 Likes

So I got a question for you, what I understand in regular seeds the female genetics are more dominant then the male.
What about when you reverse a female and cross it, is one more dominant then the other?

Imo, Females genes arent more dominant, its just that people dont know how to identify traits on the males.
Both the female and the male can have dominant traits that pass on to the kids.
My UV x RB male will make any strain turn purple regardless of what its crossed to and that comes from the Raspberry boogie, which comes from pink 2.0 father.
(No not all the kids will be purple, but majority will be)

7 Likes

So a feminized cross is just 50/50 then basically? I want to cross some :fire:cuts I got lol

Lol i think ur missing the point :yum:
It all depends on the specific lineage or genes.
So if for example i take the UV x RB female and cross it to a green colored female. The purple trait will still pass on pretty dominantly.
Its always a gamble though and u dont know until uve bred with the same “strain” for atleast 2 generations or 10 or so outcrosses, so u can identify which dominant trait is being passed on

6 Likes

Ok I get you now, either sex or strain will pass on specific dominant genes no matter what it’s crossed to.

3 Likes

Correct :+1: if i took my uv x rb and accidently crossed it to a green dominant plant that no matter what doesnt wanna turn purple, in that case the green might take over.
From my experience landrace crosses hold very stubborn genes, so if i crossed the uv x rb to a kathmandu nepal for example, rhe kathmandu might just say fuck u, uv x rb, im staying the way i am.

My oaxacan thai F30 spreads out the nodes to equidistant lengths, perfect for a too chunky mold prone strain. However it doesnt like getting rid of its “landrace” terps

To identify traits, i grow the parents in the same space as 5 or 6 of its outcrosses together, to see if i see any similarities between all the outcrosses.

[im no scientist, just what ive observed from breeding for 4 yrs]

The holy grail is having a male for every trait u desire, then being able to use them as u please for each generation to get it closer to ur desired pheno

Dont breed based on names, go for traits and terps

15 Likes

Thanks for the great info!

5 Likes

U can also turn a male into a female :wink::wink: to see its traits easier to the untrained eye

4 Likes

Some of them don’t always turn out lol

I’ve heard the cheebafritter gets 5k a cut on strainly

3 Likes