Worth it to upgrade a standard freezer?

I have a thought. Would you be able to upgrade the compressor and some other small parts of a standard -10f chest freezer to run on a colder refrigerant, like propane or similar temp range (-40), without needing dual cascade to go colder.

Would it be worth the price, or is it too much for the hassle? Granted we are capable of sourcing the parts and materials, generally, cheaper than the regular Joe Shmoe.

1 Like

Haven’t a few folks adapted a radiator(for cooling) to the compressors & been able to acheive it that way?

2 Likes

Poor airplane internet, but this looks promising

Converting ice-cream freezers from R404A to R290 (hydrocarbons21.com)

Challenges on Converting an Upright Ice-Cream Freezer from R404a to R290 Complying with 150g Refrigerant Charge Restriction (purdue.edu)

3 Likes

That’s what I’m asking about. I searched for any freezer upgrades and nothing showed

1 Like

What are you trying to achieve?

So there is a thread here search “adding a radiator to a compressor”

But I’d be a little more detailed about it wanting to hit -40+. But it works the same as any other cooling system almost. You have a compressor which has a resi & a pump, then a condenser(radiator). If your coils don’t have the surface area for properly cooling to the temp you’d like the hot load to keep up with you’ll need to add additional surface area for it to keep said refrigerant cold under load. Now this will of course need a higher flow rate of the refrigerant as well to keep up unless by calculating it you can achieve a feasible flow rate still with the same compressor as I did find a few links on the internet stating folks have added external coils without the need for change on the compressor itself.