Working on a disty mixing formula

Hey guys. So thanks to qma I have a nice cart filling setup going. Trying to refine my game all the way around. I’ve never used any cutting agent, only terps. But the market price for us currently demands we use something to cut our stuff back. Not ideal but a necessity. But if I have to do it I want to do it right.
I’m using floraplex terps and try to not go over 10-12%. But now I’m going to introduce c8 caprilyc acid derived from coconut. I read every post I can find on mixing but still haven’t found my answer. Using floraplexs calculator helps but that’s with their diliuent, not my own cutter.

So here was what I got so far but not sure how right it is

Starting disty- 184 grams
12% terps=28 grams of terps added
10% c8 cut=23 grams added

235 total grams of liquid mix

Really not sure on that % of the c8 tho at all. Any suggestions on best formula I can use for my first mix? As I’ve said, this is not ideal, but necessary for now. I’ve searched around here so feel free to link me to the answer but any searches along “distillate mix” etc didn’t get me to the answer.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

im having a brain fart. whats C8?
new cutting agent?

It’s an mct oil. From what I learned, most Mct oil has c8,c10 and c12 triglycerides. I was told that c8 on its own will work the best with limited taste or appearance change.

Also, sorry if some of that didn’t make sense. I’m blessed to have help from people above my pay grade. Just trying to make sense of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t dilute more than 10% with your cut
Natural terps go up to 10% with no cut or with it,
Food terps hover around 5 % so you don’t choke people out

1 Like

So essentially I’m in the right ballpark with 10% terps and 10% c8 cutter?

I was basically going to rock with my formulation in my first post and see how it goes

1 Like

If you have real terps I wouldn’t add cut unless you had to, to make the money work.
But yes if you want to do 10% and 10% that would be OK

What kind of natural Turpines do you have

Because I have hemp extracted Turpines steam distilled that are very good at 20 per milliliter and I have CO2 extracted real cannabis indoor terps too. They range and color from very light pale yellow too dark and actually some of our most effervescent pungent batches are dark ones like our Clementine and our sunshine for a batch totally phenomenal and actually really dark
But actually I don’t know many Turpines sources so I’m curious what you’re using

1 Like

I’m using floraplex terpenes. And yes, for now the use of cutting agent is for financial purposes. As I’ve already stated, I hate doing it. But it’s necessary for now. If I have to do it I want to do it right, and maintain as much integrity as I can while still being able to cater to these savages that want 10$ carts.

Along with that I want to make sure I’m doing my math correctly in doing everything by mass and not volume. 28 grams of terpenes sure seems like a lot, but that’s using floraplexs actual calculator

you are making the uncut crowd look good. I can help you solve this problem without lowering the potency of your distillate.

Not sure exactly how to take that last comment lol and I’m open to any suggestions. We never wanted to cut, and constantly expressing to our customers price vs what’s actually in the cart, I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here

you will have good success with this mix imo

if you need to make a test batch just do 1.84, .23 and .28

4 Likes

Thanks man. Seems I was on the right path

I have made the exact same mix with great success I used to cut with 10% mct but I found that it wasnt worth sacrificing the integrity of the brand for 10% but it may be different for you

3 Likes

It’s probably an oxymoron of sorts, but I’m trying to go for a product that maintains Integrity while compromising with the market. Just tryin to adapt and survive. But ive seen posts on here like “IM DOING 15% TERPS 40% CUTTING WHY IS MY SHIT CLOUDY”

I’m trying to find a balance here really. Trying to put out an acceptable and good product while having to stray away from my personal desires

Yeah I forgot to mention I use floraplex and Ive used the terpene store both are good but floraplex cheaper

You highest cost will be distillate by far followed by carts then the terps and finally labor. Bags are a nice way to keep it cheap at 5 cents each and it will help with labor since it is not multi step packaging

edit here is a formula for 20% cut there are a few thickener cuts out there, mr extractor thickener, honey cut, gold coast and floraplex has one. Never used any except Mr Extractor thickener I do not know pricing or which is best youll have to try them

Carts are going to run 1.8 - 2$ for high quality like ikrusher, ccell, liberty, transpring

Bootleg CCELL probably around 0.75$ a cart dhgate alibaba or hit up my girl on whatsapp +86 137 1486 9511 she has bootlegs and she was good to work with

2 Likes

Fortunately i have most of the cogs in place… terp supply, packaging, carts etc are all handled… of course i need to see how the carts fare with my new mix. But I do indeed have the whole process streamlined efficiently. Just needed to work out this new mix as per the new demand. Thanks for all the help as always everybody. Im sure this post is semi-redundant. But i just didnt find exactly what i needed in other posts… May this serve as another little nugget of info for future learners.

2 Likes

Bags are great for san fransisco, but the east coast are getting over them.

massive scale and planning the flow of cartridges cut down on labor the most. A 3 man team making 25 an hour that can put out 500 packaged carts an hour, is 15 cents a cart. 40 cents for packaging and a dollar for a quality vape, ~30 cents for terps and material at 6500 makes for $6.75 a cart @ 90/10

With C8 you can utilize minute amounts of vape concentrates to make a really amazing product. Some people rather have a really good flavor, and many of these flavors are safer than botanical terpenes.

4 Likes

@anon56994712 Have you noticed any of the nose burning effects with a terp% that high?
Also, I’m seeing that the majority of this forum is against using MCT oil, but I’ve yet to find much negativity about caprylic. What are your thoughts on it, and has anyone here experienced bad results from using it?

Savage terpenes you use 6%… distllate weight ÷9 will give you how much mct to add for a 10 percent cut. That is now a base oil. (Base oil weight÷0.94=y) (y-base oil) equals amount of terpenes to add at 6%