Woah - be careful with your labs

Lol who said no fire suppression or ventilation

@Ruwan?

Not sure you understand the nature of that particular tragedy.

The Hindenburg was outside…

5 Likes

The court documents presented above certainly imply “inadequate”…

The story I rember was that they praised the guy who passed for running into the building that was engulfed in flames to try asn save people insides. This would lead me to believe it was an indoor explosion. But I obviously wasn’t there

Pity. I’d trade you for david any day

10 Likes

The shop class at my high school was arguably safer for extraction

And I don’t know what happened in the case above. But I bet thed be alive if they weren’t indoors. And no ones saying u don’t don’t safety equipment and everyone should extract outdoors care free. Just saying all those nice safety features should be put outdoor roofed structure and the people working in them would be alot safer… don’t even get how u can argue this is wrong… unless maybe ur just one of those people who " can’t be wrong" … there always so nice to be around

Stop quoting ur ex girlfriend

You want “outside” in your hash?

When “outside”, ventilation depends on the weather, temp; depends on the weather, visibility; depends on the weather.

I love being wrong. It means I LEARNED something.

If the NFPA agreed with “just do it outside”, it would be written up as such.

It’s not.

You’re wrong. Get over yourself.

11 Likes

So extract when the weather permits no ? And this industry is brand new. Like i mentioned all the real Gass industrys store and transport there gas like this, and only like this for a reason to

you’re right. Silly me.

Let me drag my $250k automagic extractor outside.

Shit, that’s where all the chillers are.

That’s ok, I’m sure the wind won’t blow fumes in that direction.

Oh shit, what’s all that crap in my pour? “It’s Just a feature of the ventilation”

YOU should definitely work outside. It’s a fuck ton safer than working in your garage.

I’ll stick with controlling my robot-with-a-bomb from a safe distance, in a room that can yell an screen, and turn up the damn fans if it notices a leak. That can respond with fire suppressant if the pour ignites.

You are absolutely welcome to believe you know better than those that have gone before you. Without that attitude we would not have made all kinds of leaps.

nah dude, you’ll fall off if you sail over that way…

But you’ll learn more if you can loose the part where it’s all about YOU being RIGHT.

Being wrong is ok.

…and sometimes there are multiple “right” answers.

14 Likes

Have you ever experienced a large leak ? Have you ever had gas detection systems tell you about said leak ? You realize even working outside without proper ventilation and gas detectors is still very dangerous. If you have proper ventilation you will never even hit any explosive limit and if your whole tank leaks out in a freak accident your fans will kick on full blast and exchange the air in the room 6 times per minute . So is running a small closed loop outside in your back yard / porch better than in the house without ventilation yes it is . But at the end of the day all these rules and regulations are to keep people safe . If you used them or worked around them you would realize this . It’s real easy to say oh yeah just put everything outside it will be fine . What if you have a massive leak and all of the gas pools directly beneath you and immediately you are in the lower or upper explosive limit because the wind isn’t blowing . In a “dangerous” c1d1 this would never happen because there is constant airflow across the floor and guess what if you even hit 10% of the lower explosive limit hardcore ventilation kicks on and evacuates the room . I suggest doing some research about lower and upper explosive limits and how much butane it takes to get there in what amount of space you would be surprised it’s not very much .

2 Likes

Let’s not be atogonistic. I never said outside. I said in a professionally built roofed but not walled structure. And the chillers could obviously be put at a safe distance away not under the same structure.
And I don’t quite understand the Automatic set up ur describing but what ever it is it doesn’t seem to be the way most peoples c1d1 booths operate. Maybe urs is extremely safe in comparison, and that coupled by that fact that u are a experienced and very competent operator makes you feel like the industry standards are safe. But I would bet most c1d1 rooms arnt as fancy and safe as urs, and most operators arnt as competent as u. Bet you’ve been in tons of other people’s labs that made u want to run out of the door.
They are paying idiots with no skills 20 bucks an hour to work in these gas closets, and some of there bosses are money grubbing whores who will cut every corner to turn a profit. It just takes a sequence of two or three errors to blow up any of those booths. Maybe ur not the type to ever make that many mistakes consecutively but stones who live with there mother and get paid 20 an hour definitely are. And their supervisor arnt always as on top of shit as u I’m sure . Not saying ur unsafe, but as a industry standard c1d1 are extremely unsafe. Outdoors structures takes all those margins of error out of the equation and simplifys the whole safety procedure by 10 fold. Could be wrong but I feel like if it was the standard for small start ups less people would be burned alive… all I’m saying

Yep. Not running them right. Or not actually setting them up even close to correctly. No reasonable escape route. No panic alarm to let everybody else to gtfo

There are very few AtEx rated cellphones. How come there are so many cellphone videos of CLS up on Instagram? folks are not following the rules…

In the correctly controlled environment, with the correct (allowable, based on environmental controls) amount of solvent, it is possible to exceed the lel at times. If you control all outside sources of ignition, you can STILL manage to set your shit on fire.

Yeah, I’ve seen a number of terrifying work spaces. I’ve currently got one that seems to get better every day.

I once calculated that if I lost my whole tank of butane, I was only at 1/100 of the LEL, so long as I kept it stirred well in the 30k ft warehouse I had to myself at the time.

…and in big trouble if it stayed 2” from the floor and found the freezer.

I was all for building a booth. They grabbed a shipping container build instead.

I have been MOST terrified, and on more than one occasion, when venting tanks outdoors.

2 Likes

I have on more than one occasion dumped an entire column of fresh frozen and butane into a trash can and rolled it into my hood without setting off my correctly calibrated LEL alarm

4 Likes

Wrong.

I’ve SEEN huge puddles outdoors. Venting a tank on a cold still morning is STUPID. Didn’t get that until I did…

You cannot rely on the ventilation outdoors.

In YOUR use case? Perhaps.

But that shipping container? It was a very safe space for a rig that didn’t hold but 2lb when they spun it up.

Me too.

1 Like

butane is heavier than air and will pool downhill of wherever it is spilled…

I hate rehashing but this is a good read. Apparently there’s insider knowledge of the unsafe components, and failure to remedy this leading to what’s being accused of deaths and severe bodily burns. From going online it looks like there five or six? Of these lawsuits. Fake names, fake business, fake documents, business shelter, intermingling of business funds, and alter ego.

Does this mean anybody who sold hardware that came from same or similar suppliers knew that the hardware was also unsafe? What happens for the liability factor if these cases go through the system and create a case law, are other sellers at risk for domino lawsuits?

So there’s 5-6? Injury lawsuits and possibly a death lawsuit?

Hes suing a staff member?

And high precision gas is suing him for stealing tanks and gas. Also does anyone know if customers with these stolen tanks will get in trouble if they go somewhere to refill them? Are they listed as stolen serialized tanks?

And to think I almost bought one of their mantles bc it was ridiculously low priced.

Gama-v.-2020-First-Amended-Complaint.pdf (7.5 MB)

anyone without MTRs or a real QA program is playing a dangerous game

almost as dangerous as a glass diamond miner

2 Likes