Wipers for ethanol extraction

Can anyone elaborate on wipers for ethanol extract?

That’s like asking to elaborate about the rubber on your tires. What is it that you’re trying to do or make?

7 Likes

Do you mean the problem arising from sugars ruining wiper blades?

3 Likes

Or you planning to use a wiped film evaporator to recover your solvent?

You could.
I doubt many do.

4 Likes

No seriously.

We cannot elaborate until you do @Dom_v

“Wipers for ethanol extraction” could even be (deliberately mis)construed as loading the crude reservoir with biomass and attempting extraction and recovery in the same device.

3 Likes

Now THIS I want to see

2 Likes

Don’t think the boss would appreciate me attempting that on our new 14” wiper…especially after buying me 1/2 dozen ginormous spiney-go-rounds :shushing_face:

Just need to add a filter to the bottom of the crude reservoir. Maybe hook it to the chiller rather than a heater…

6 Likes

@Akoyeh , protect him from his own ingenuity before @thesk8nmidget catches him packing the wiper body with nugs.

8 Likes

A friend was tryin to explain the use of wipers for the process and what the functions were and he couldn’t so I figured I would put it out there for you guys to give me a better idea.

1 Like

With fine enough milling and good mixing into a thermal transfer fluid followed by a filter/scrub of the residue and reuse the fluid, I don’t think it would be much different from wiping really gummy material. I’ll buy you a Coke if you can make it work.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Wiped/rolled films work by creating a uniform thin film across a heated surface. The wiper/roller smears the crude across a heated surface, it doesn’t “push it toward the condenser”. The distillate evaporates from that thin film and migrates toward the condenser in vapor state, where it accumulates. Both the distillate and bypass then drain by gravity to their respective collection flasks.

3 Likes

Not an issue.

I’ve got too many other things in my queue already…besides, were I to attempt, I’d be loading the crude reservoir with nugs, not the wiper body.

That’s for recovering the solvent :shushing_face:

Add filtration on feed & adjust the plumbing so as said recovered solvent goes back over the biomass Soxhlet style. Monitor for “finished”.

if you’ve got a 3 stage still, you can then go straight from biomass to distillate.

4 Likes

Again with the copy/paste. https://www.hydrionsciences.com/post/a-guide-to-the-short-path-distillation-and-wiped-film-distillation-process

What sort of morons do you take us for @Estrella?

Do you comprehend anything you’ve posted?

Please stop.

2 Likes

At first I thought it was some kind of SEO bot, but their posts are all over the place.

They change small details in the message contents, but for the most part all of their posts are more or less plagiarized.