Wiped Film Recommendations

I vote for the VTA. This is the single best piece of equipment in my lab. The Germans make good shit.

3 Likes

Any issues? How often do you need to clean it or replace the wipers

I liked my vks too

Ones steel ones glass I believe

1 Like

nothing fancy, but of you want something cheap lol

Sorry for not clarifying earlier but not interested in the Chinese stuff.

2 Likes

VTAs are beautifully designed and manufactured, super accurate and dependableand these days can be found for CRAZY cheap vs. msrp. vfds on all the gear pumps allow for perfect dialing in of cut rate if you know how to use them.
IMO if you get one, get them with Julabo heating/chilling circulators vs. Huber
they’re slow in comparison to larger WFEs though

I’ve used Pope 6in glass stills outfitted with Beaker & Wrench dosing and outlet pumps, they’re super solid, pretty afforable and are a more competitive throughput.

I’ve not used Beaker & Wrench’s proprietary SS unit but it looks dope, and I trust their ability to R&D. actually hoping we can get one in the coming year

if i were you i’d stay away from anything with a shotgun condenser, those SUCK when it comes to cleaning water-soluble residues. cold finger style all the way

Stainless = better heat transfer, more vacuum secure, no breakage of glass parts; can’t see what’s going on inside (not ideal for cleaning/maintenance/dialing in), requires strategic sightglasses to ensure material flow/function

Glass = not as good heat transfer, but can see everything inside (ideal for cleaning/maintenance/dialing in)

3 Likes

Yes I. Have the TD-6 from across and hit 90-99 constantly. Thoughtput is pretty good. 2-3/hr output gear pumps suck but other than that solid build

2 Likes

What do you like about it and what do you dislike in the across unit?

I have run a few Precision units the CDU3000 and 10k and we have been able to make high quality Distillate on both. the 3000 pumped out a liter every 45mins and the 10k pumps out a liter every 15mins, after we added an LN2 cold trap.

That being said I think if I was going to buy a new unit in the future I would lean heavily toward Beaker and Wrench, they are worth checking out if you haven’t already.