Wiped Film Parameters

That doesn’t seem like an intense enough terpene cut according to what Pope recommends.

Now, if the OP is de-terping in a shortpath (call it up to 180C at 375mT?) that seems like it would be sufficient.

I wonder if there is really enough heat transfer getting across the evaporator, and how even the heating is. Doesn’t Pope just use an electric blanket of some sort? Wattage on that? Controller? It has always seemed “cheap” to me, but I suppose some people can make it work.

EDIT: If you are decarbing AND de-terping on your shortpath, you could be cooking THC to some other isomers in small amounts, its not always D8. There is often an extra peak (or two that sort of overlap) that are unidentified that I have noticed in chromatograms that I have requested from my testing lab. No way of quantifying them without a standard, but that could be a D9 loss in the process.

3 Likes

is that %thc or %cannabinoids cause there was a videos posted on here a few days ago were a testing lab was saying how they hav rarely ever seen distillate higher than 90% Thc. so 88% might be really pretty good

1 Like

Someone with a WFE should try running the jacket at 180°C and the internal at 154°C right around 50-80 mtorr durring main body and see what kind of results you get :smirk:

15 Likes

@anon42519203 wfe tek!

3 Likes

50-80mtorr? Shouldn’t you be at diffusion vac depths. Most wfe run diffusion setups so that on the final passes you’re able to use exact temps to remove main body. Like outside wall at 158C and inside core at 154C so that the bandwidth of what’s collected is narrowed significantly. Then just keep the speed of introduction of material to a minimum so the vac doesn’t budge.

17 Likes

What type of liquid do you recommend for the polyscience heaters?

180 is very hot. My polyscience is only rated max 170c

Worked with the jacket at 180C and even 175C. Heat bands as well. Gotten some interesting results. Highest I’ve run the internal condenser is 110C, but I’m down to try it!

2 Likes

Are you referring to your internal condenser or your Pope jacket? If it’s the internal condenser, that’s wayy too hot.

All Popes I have worked on / had built to order use PolyScience recirculating heated bath; with de-ionized water. Keep them insides healthy.

1 Like

@CollectiveObjective posted this link for heat transfer fluids about 2 days ago.

https://www.julabo.com/sites/default/files/downloads/catalogue-flyer/JULABO-Thermal-Bath-Fluids-en.pdf

Sorry collective objective! Don’t mean to steal your thunder!

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve never worked on wiped film but I feel like the reason for low results isn’t due to the machine… just each machine being different meaning that you need to find the parameters that work. Material ran through wiped film systems barely sees heat for long… so the material can be ran a lot of times trying different temps and vac depths. But from what I remember, a diffusion pump is really the way to get good results.

As far as what fluid to use. If you’re going high temp use a silicone base. Is you’re going low temp use HC-50 from polyscience.

6 Likes

This is true on many points. Can’t put a stir bar in a WF feed flask for one. However you can control the residence time of your crude material with drive speed - which in turn wipes your crude slower or faster along the inside of the body. If you can achieve high vacuum you can utilize lower still body temps - which in turn can allow longer residence time. You can play with drive speed and feed viscosity - also a factor. Peristaltic pumps are where it’s at, @beakerandwrench has them on instagram. I have yet to convince a client to spend almost 5 grand on a surgical pump to replace their feed flask, but if you can let me know where else to get these things…we’re kinda stuck.

In regards to residence time: the evaporation surface is 0.052 m2 on the VTA VKL70-5 as well as an internal condenser surface of 0.080 m2. This surface area obviously crushes a 2" Pope system; it’s wiper assembly is nearly three times the size as well. It has incredible purification power due to it’s sheer surface area. I’ve seen the water clear come out of it with no adsorbents/absorbents whatsoever. Just two passes. The system achieves 10-3 mbar with Leybold roughing plus a diffusion backing vacuum pump. Diffusion pumps are definitely the way as you mentioned.

That said; in addition you definitely cannot add anything to your crude that would impede the wiper movement or still function. This is a massive advantage of the SPD systems. (adsorbents/absorbents/cbleach/etc).

Spot on with the silicone based thermal baths. For the internal condenser on the 2-4" Pope systems I’ve used & built up, that’s the exact model I recommend.

s/o to baby’s arm labs ! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Awesome info. Ya I’ve always held the vta in high regards. I’ve only seen it in action twice but I can see it’s capabilities.

As for the peristaltic pumps, I’d like to someday implement one for main body removal on a short path.

4 Likes

I purchased a setup from beakerandwrench they will be coming to install on my pope the 29th :grin: very excited about that.

6 Likes

You couldn’t put a pump on your machine?

3 Likes

As much as I hate the feed flask on the Pope: the only dosing pump I’d put on a WF is a peristaltic one. It’s the only positive displacement feed pump I’ve seen - with the ability to handle highly viscous oleoresin. Other pump styles simply can’t match the ability & accuracy. The only maintenance is the feed tube which is replaced every run at a cost of 25 cents. @lilibie at @beakerandwrench breaks down (in better detail) why they utilize that specific pump; I’ll try and find the post + edit here later.

12 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

Great choice working with Lilibe and Ace at BeakerAndWrench guys! Super solid company!

10 Likes