Wiped Film Distillation for Compliant distillate?

Hello everyone,

I have been hearing rumors of using a catalyst with wiped film distillation that can possibly turn hot distillate into T-free/ compliant distillate. Can anyone confirm these rumors? I’m going to be running some tests on running the distillate at different temperatures (or boiling points) and holding for X amount of time to see if I can get our distillate to compliant levels. I know that vacuum depth is going to have a large impact on different boiling point temperatures of the cannabinoids, so every system will be different. If anyone has any advice on this please let me know, it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you Future4200 community I will post the results of my findings (If any).

Our distillate usually comes out in the 3% THC range through our wiped film. Without mentioning what catalyst it is hard for me to say if it will work.
We don’t regulate our vacuum. What I mean by this is we don’t have a set vacuum pressure we use when we run, as it changes a lot depending on content of your input oil, though each will reach its own steady state operating pressure.
Because of this, the boiling point depression is different from batch to batch, and we use a temperature probably much hotter than the expected boiling point, as this means there is a greater heat transfer factor. This allows for faster throughput in the column, if the vacuum (and cold trap and internal condenser) can maintain acceptable enough levels from the increased cooling demands needed.

Given that wiped film operates on oil heating up through the contact time with the wall, and that THC and CBD have boiling points that are almost the same, it seems unlikely (IMO) that you can do meaningful separation between them. Both of them become more concentrated in the distillate compared to the tails.

Long story short, I would be interested to know if other people have any experience in this as well, as it seems unlikely to me that the WFE has any positive effect on separating CBD and THC.

1 Like

Separating, no. A mention of a catalyst i assume entails the selective degredation of THC under heat. The wiped film perhaps being incidental to the process.

1 Like

I was thinking the catalyst would be used to degrade THC not separate. Maybe rig the wiper with a UV light + catalyst?

Phoscheck?

1 Like

Interesting, I think that will be a good place to start. I can run an experiment in my wiper with this. Will phosphoric acid ester damage the glass?

Hi there. Just a new learner to this world. Is there a place to go and find the BP to all stuff into the Distillate. I mean, I’m ok that it’s impossible to use the WFE to separate CDB and THC, but I’m looking to a better efficiency in concentrate THC. Hope you can give me a better direction. TIA

Technically it’s not, you just need crazy accuracy, temp control, and all the other perfect variables

degrade the thc to cbn
not sure the process, im a thc guy