Winterizing advise

Hello everyone
I’ve been reading and searching but there’s so much info that goes into to much detail and off on tangents that I’m not ashamed to say I don’t understand :rofl: I’m looking to winterize oil that I’ve extracted with iso,filtered down to 1 micron and decarbed ,once winterised I will then put through a spd …

I’ve only got access to a home style freezer (-19) so my quandary is
Do I mix with ethanol and freeze till I see separation then filter through Büchner with fine filter paper
Or
Mix with methanol and do similar (I have adequate extraction/safety equipment etc), I’ve read fats and lipids fall out easily with methanol …
Thanks in advance for any help you can give …
I’m new to this so go easy on me /no spoon comments :face_with_monocle:

yeah dilute around 6:1 or higher and then freeze for 24 hours.

Seems like you know exactly what to do. if possible id go with methanol. ive found it to be superior to ethanol when it comes to pulling fats and waxes.

make sure your recovery is amazing. Methanol is quiet the nasty booger. PPE and plenty of ventilation as well.

maybe just peep the SDS for each solvent and pick whichever floats your boat brother.

There is an extremely good chance that if you extracted with isopropyl alcohol, you don’t need to winterize. IME, it doesn’t need to be done. You can mix it at a 1:1 with methanol and slightly chill, if there are any fats, they will drop out. Try it with a small amount in a jar and see if anything happens, then proceed.

1 Like

I should have said I extracted the oil with iso but the material I’m using is polm / very high quality light hash … I just melted the hash in the iso then filtered , not sure what fats and lipids will be in the oil but need to winterise to be 100% before going into the spd

6:1 with either ethanol or methanol ?

thats what i’ve been using if needed

Even at room temp, if there’s fats to drop out it will happen.

1 Like

Awesome mate, i like the idea of trying a bit first … this is all a big learning curve

i’ve heard of people room temp winterizing with methanol and a smidge of distilled water… thoughts???

Didn’t know about the water part, but it doesn’t take cold temps with it which is nice

I like Alumina pre-wet with a little water. It’ll clog up quick with fats/waxes so it helps to start with a thick layer and scrape off the sediment from time to time.

2 Likes

Once dropped out you just filter through a Büchner using paper filters to collect fats etc?

Yes you can filter that way. One thing to consider is the ratio of oil to solvent. At 1:1 it would clog. I assume Dred was implying that at a 1:1 ratio using methanol as the solvent one can easily see if its got fats in it. Not necessarily that one could filter at that ratio. At least not with a buchner.

1 Like