Winterized CO2 terps with methanol

I’ve winterized CO2 terpenes as an experiment with methanol and AA and it works beautifully for that.

Rotovap ar 20c till drips stop. Vac down in oven to 28hg with cold trap. Nothing moves. No bubbles. Bumped up to 60c as an experiment… nothing moved. Haven’t a sample off for residual solvents and failed due to the methanol 6000 with a passing threshold of 200.

Question:

How do I remove the rest of the methanol from the terpene pull without damaging the terps?

LLE?
Longer evaporation?
Some new fangled contraption that’ll run me 100k?:sunglasses:

Membranes

1 Like

You could try fractional distillation

2 Likes

@Roguelab turned me onto someone and we talked for a quick minute then… radio silence

1 Like

Huh ?

1 Like

I was thinking about using my still with deep vac and give it a go

I can’t remember his name but he had the filters. You tagged him in a post that I… ummm… posted lol

1 Like

@Filterman9 Is who it was

3 Likes

LLE with distilled water, water and methanol are miscible with each other, but water and terps don’t mix.

3 Likes

Will that pull all the methanol out of the terps that suspend?

And since there is a cannabinoid source in the terps (about 35% TAC), will that effect the separation?

I don’t know for sure, I doubt it. It should at least give you a better starting point to remove residuals.

1 Like

Yeah just run pentane as your non-polar fraction.

Louche your methanol stuff with water and your non polars will hop on over.

You’ll lose any water soluble flavoring compounds, but such is life

3 Likes

Thanks, guys… terps are a new monster for me. Feels like David vs Goliath over here.

1 Like