Winterize Rosin for carts

My biggest question is can I winterize rosin just like I would regular concentrates?

1 Like

Yep. Why not?
To me, it kinda defeats the purpose to winterize a solventless concentrate… But it can certainly be done. Just like you would winterize BHO.

7 Likes

Thanks appreciate it. I see everyone talking about solvent less rosin carts but honestly if you decarb your finished product there isn’t any noticeable ethanol and I would still probably run it thru celite 545 and activated charcoal before running in the rotovap just like bho

Ur gonna lose most of ur terps… but if ur okay with that then it works np

Please be sure to use proper wording for your product, if you use a solvent to winterize, it’s solvent free at that point.

Solventless means at no point was the extract dissolved into a solvent solution. (Yes water is a solvent, but, the trichomes are not dissolved in the water, which is closer to mechanical separation than anything, which is what rosin is anyhow.)

5 Likes

Yea terps would be pretty much gone but I do use isolates to mimic flavor profile because them pg peg vg mixes taste nasty to me

If you’re making it yourself, wouldn’t it be easier to do an alcohol extract?

1 Like

A lot of people say it defeats the purpose because you will “lose your terps” but have you guys actually tried winterizing rosin?

It absolutely works well. Ethanol extraction is always associated with low terps but for some reason rosin followed by ethanol (winterizing) does not equal the same thing. You can actually create a totally different concentrate that will have great terps (assuming you’re making good rosin). The yield is never as good as an ethanol extraction but the end product is really flavorful. I’ve gotten some really unusual consistencies from winterized rosin. I had one batch that decarbed a little and it came out looking like a hard distillate and was almost clear but smelled like flower.

I think that mechanically forcing the terps/resin from the plant yields a different composition of terpenes/volatiles than you can get with solvent extraction. Using a solvent to then clean it up after doesn’t defeat the purpose, it just gives you a different end product altogether. With some very useful applications

4 Likes

Have you tested your residual ethanol levels? If you want it mostly ethanol free, it’ll likely suck the terps off. If you’re not worried about residual alcohol (which, it’s probably fairly benign), then you’re off to the races.

1 Like

Explain a bit more curious_miner you mean alcohol extract the cannabis instead of pressing it?

He means soak it in cold ethanol or butane, instead of pressing it. Pressing rosin isn’t the most efficient way to extract cannabis, in terms of yield.

3 Likes

But won’t it have a funny taste to it and how long do I soak in solution before I filter it and run in rotovap.

You can winterize and keep your terps. Dm for a consult $$

2 Likes

No… It shouldn’t taste funny.
For the best tasting winterized extracts, I would recommend extracting with very cold butane and filtering in-line. You can purge out the butane at much lower temps than ethanol and if you are going to winterize your rosin, it will be dissolved in ethanol or some other solvent at some point.

But that’s just me. I am sure there are other people on here that would suggest other ways.