Winterization understanding?

I did this and skipped the carbon washing process. After i broke vac and started collecting the tails the 2nd fraction and started getting a reddish color. What is this? And I collected 2000 grams prior that is clear, will this have a red line one top of oil after sitting a couple days?

@Future -40Ā° is probably fine for keeping most fats out of solution. The -67Ā°C is only the temperature at which contact time for chlorophyll pickup goes asymptoticā€¦ in other words, that is just the temperature point at which you can keep the plant matter in contact with the ethanol for an indefinite period of time without picking up any chlorophyll. I think Iā€™ve repeated that enough, now.
@Evanfromextractions That is normal tails. There are several ways to eliminate or minimize tails posted if you look around here. :wink:

9 Likes

You had me at ā€œasymptoticā€.

6 Likes

@Evanfromextractions Any vacuum leak can cause redness, but the tails are always red unless you use other methods to eliminate or decolor them. Yes, the gold will form a layer of red after a few days in air. To vacuum seal, just pour into a Mason jar, affix the lid and then unscrew until the ring is just barely touching the lid. Heat to 150Ā°F under continuous vacuum. Close vacuum valve and open the oven vent as fast as you can. This will vac seal the lid, and you will see it be concave. When fully vented, open the door and tighten the ring.

10 Likes

Awwā€¦ much love, Cat! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Do you have to add heat to properly vacuum seal a mason jar? I bought and have both the normal and wide mouth mason jar Vacuum attachments for my food saver. I use to use it all the time to store homemaid pasta sauce and never seen a jar loose vacuum.

Ive also seen people put the mason jars inside a larger foodsaver round canisters and vacuum them out like that as well. I just dont know at what vacuum pressure the foodsaver sealers go down too.

The jar sealers do not pull a very significant vacuum, but it may be enough to slow down oxidation discoloration. Heating helps, no matter how you vacuum seal the jar, because it thins the gas in the headspace, so when it cools, there is less gas (stronger vacuum) in the headspace. When hot enough, this also makes said gas at least partly composed of the liquid or solid in the jar by evaporation, so when it cools, that material condenses, leaving less gas/stronger vac in the headspaceā€¦ and even if it does not condense, it is not oxygen, so it doesnā€™t matter. :grin:

1 Like

Vacuum oven+ argon, makes a pretty good jar sealerā€¦

3 Likes

A while back I came across a post of a well known, who went a step further and started identifying contaminents by color as well. Only thing I remember was black was neem oil. But it was very interesting readā€¦ Maybe someone else came across it and saved it :crossed_fingers:t4:

3 Likes

Indeed, @Mumbles ! Neem oil does extract as a black sludge. Thank you for reminding us!

2 Likes

Good God,and neem oil leaves the foulest taste alsoā€¦I donā€™t advise the use of neem after veg in my room$!

2 Likes

how do you reach that temperature?

Dry ice bath (dry ice in ethanol or acetone or similar), or a low temp (So-Low) freezer, typically.

2 Likes