Will this work ? I'm Not sure

I’m not sure if this can work as the roots may be hanging in the air
And to achieve the desired height, the pot must be inserted halfway into the lid and secured

Since it is not a DWC system, irrigation is exclusively via a drip system
Do I see a problem with the roots dying?

However, with a normal drip system, the roots also grow through the pots and end up in the bottom of the channel. I’m definitely familiar with the drip system on small pots

What do you say?

Does this work since the roots don’t get light and are watered multiple times a day (when the light is on)?
Or is it not enough and the roots die because they hang in the air and don’t get enough nutrients?

Substrate is blathone (pellet)

Used a similar method but with a few variations. First instead of pellet, coco coir was used for it’s ability to transfer and retain moisture. Second, a 6" piece of PVC pipe was installed at the bottom of the pot. It went past the air gap and into the water. Basically you’re wanting to create a fake water shelf for the plant roots. They will find their way to the bottom of the pot and then seek out the pipe. Lastly, the pump to water the plants was put on a timer. This varies per setup but you want about to waterings per hour, each one for about 10-15 seconds. the top of the substrate should remain dry, and it should be moist just underneath. You can increase the water times as the plants mature.

Is the sieve supposed to block the roots? Eventually they will grow down and clog the pump.

It’s best to not stop the recirculating in the dark period.

Temperature plays a key role in hydro, as it influences the oxygen carrying capacity of water and the bacterial environment of the root zone. Some systems will work ok in a cool environment, but when it is hot, the roots end up rotting.

1 Like

Got pictures or a video?

thank you for your answer
I don’t have any pictures yet because I’m in the planning stages of using the system, but I’ve written down a few things that I’ll use
The sieve is very fine, I hardly think a root will get through it

Laborsiebe Edelstahl,Analysen Sieb,Testsieb,Gartensieb,Silber Rund Durchmesser 20cm (Mesh 0.28mm) Amazon.de

that would be the sieve

the pump

Mini Wasserpumpen(350L/H, 5W), Ultra Leise Aquarium pumpe mit hohem Hub, brunnenpumpe mit 1,5 m Netzkabel, 2 Düsen für Aquarien, Teich, Brunnen, Statuen, Hydrokultur Amazon.de

and the flow pump

SunSun JVP-131 Strömungspumpe Wavemaker mit Magnethalter 6000l/h 8W schwenkbar für Süß- & Salzwasser Amazon.de

Ok. You might want to make it easy to access and clean. And fwiw you probably want to wash your clay pellets well before using, so that the clay dust doesnt clog the screen. If you keep all the liquid above the bin, and use a bin that has a lid with raised edges, the worst that can happen is that leaks just run back into the reservoir.

Hi,
The illustration looks like a tote & reservoir, with holes cut on lid apparatus?
Most good moisture tight systems will contain the humidity, the air blubber will
assist with that… roots will be okay.
Film buildup with nutrient rich water, keep an eye on sieve if too fine it can clog & backup
overflow will happen… a substitute, make one out of a paint strainer bag or put the pump in paint strainer bag (may need a inlet & out let hole) twist tie the end shut (will keep roots out). Rinse or swap strainer as needed.
A decent programmable digital trimmer have up to 8 programs… can due short
feedings in between.
Regards,