Will terpenes isolate with CBD?

I’m curious why this batch came out at 96.97% (verified by two labs).
I usually have no issue hitting 99% + off a single crystallization and a wash.
I have been grabbing the main body fraction early and running a little hotter to speed things up on this batch. The isolate has a very distinctive smell of terpenes. Is it possible that I isolated a terpene with the CBD? If so will a second crystallization take care of the impurity’s?

1 Like

A recrystallization will almost certainly take care of your problem :+1:t3:

3 Likes

How’s it look? comparatively close to your normal runs? Any noticeable differences?
I would start with a methanol test to see if there are any waxes or lipids.
Then I would ensure the lab does a retest if it looks similar to all your runs and is clean of wax and lipids.

I just saw your updated post, Never mind the above.

Was the solvent clean and used for only isolate or did you use your same solvent from extraction?

The isolate is pure white like always and I did do the methanol test which showed no fats. I have been using the same solvent from extraction but that’s always been the case.

1 Like

Hows the solvent smell? any hint of terpenes in that?

I’ll check when I get back to the lab. Had to go grab dry ice.

Smells like Hexane. didnt really smell any terps but I also dont want to taker a big old wiff either lol.

if you have terps in the hexane you can usually smell the difference so i would bet its not that.

@JedClampet If you still have a little of this left you should send me a couple grams and i’ll throw it in the GC and see if there are two peaks, one for hexane and a second for some type of terpene.

Shit man I wish I still had a sample of that batch I would have sent it. Just recrystallized it. Came out bright white without the terp smell.

2 Likes

Damn, I was really curious!