Will flex seal hold back dry ice / iso slurry?

Hello future fam,

My tank is a semi old school bhogart with a partial jacket on the lower half and a bottom feed spout that sticks out the front of the tank at a 90°.

I want to drop the whole thing in a brute w/ dry ice. Im gonna need to cut into the plastic brute to allow the bottom feed ball valve to stick out, my question to you wonderful people is : has anyone tested flex seal against dry ice temperatures?

If anyone’s tried this sort of thing already let me know if that cold a temp is gonna turn flex seal into something that’s just gonna leak.

Why not just get a bigger ice chest?

Because its a bottom feed i gotta cut a hole for that valve out.

A bigger ice chest would have the same issue, id have that hose in the way

That’s also a flexible steel braided line…

I can put elbows on the jacket and have those lines go straight up. But i need to be able to open and close that bottom one.

Open to that suggestion if you can help me work that part out

You can also move said valve or add additional valve outside of ice chest to “prime” up to & then inject. You’d loose a tiny bit more solvent & would have to ensure the integrity of that valve after & before each run. But it’s doable. If you gotta work with what ya got, then by all means. I just wouldn’t try to use flex seal, I believe their max temp it holds is around -35 to -45c which shouldn’t be to big a issue, I’d be more worried of the solvent removing the seal & ending up with a leak either way. Would just make more sense to get a bigger vessel to hold & suffice for the bottom spout.

Edit: if moving valve ensure the tank is completely empty!!!

Second edit: says flex seal holds at -80f(62.2c)… I don’t trust it still

2 Likes

I see what your saying with the additional valve. I want to avoid any tinkering with that if possible. In my mind i think its gonna work fine i just don’t know how many days or weeks the seals are gonna need to be checked, fuck it what’s the worst case scenario i waste 30 on a trash can and some flex seal.

Ill keep the isopropyl isolated from the dry ice in the jacket and just have dry ice in the bin so no liquid just evaporation, still curious to see how flex seal holds up

1 Like

Ill post my results

1 Like