Why is 3a the standard for cls sieve instead of AA?

If it collects vapors as well, which it seems to, it appears you’d need to use 3a exclusively. n-Butane shows being adsorbed by even 4a based on the table presented higher up in this thread.

3 Likes

At this point I only use it when I need to remove mercaptans in new solvent. When I use it it’s not in a 3" spool like my 3a sieve, it’s in it’s own 1.5" x 12" triclamp spool.

Doesnt 13x have 10a pores already?

2 Likes

It does have the same pore size, yea. I do like how it keeps my solvent clean. But, I’m definitely going to look and see if I can notice a solvent loss through it

1 Like

4a does not absorb Alkanes though?

Supposedly 4A does not absorb alkanes, no. But it is very close to the size of butane/propane - 4.2-4.3A . Like scoobiedoobie said, using it to clean out mercaptans would be fine but good quality gas shouldn’t have them these days anyway. If you get to 5A pore size or higher like 13x (10A) you will absolutely be absorbing hydrocarbons. Look at https://www.deltaadsorbents.com/ for more details.

1 Like

I think I remember someone saying that heptane can actually get bound up in 4a mol sieve but cant remember who said it.

Edit: I was wrong its 5a and it was @SkyHighLer

Tell that to the state of California :grin:

2 Likes