Why dry material right out vs fresh frozen

So my partner and I were having a discussion and we can’t come up with an answer.

Why when running dry cured you want to dry your material right out before running it for 0 water content, but with fresh frozen for live-resin ect there’s water content in the material still.

What is the difference and why does it matter between the two? Will you have less terps when drying your dried cured right out? Will your return suffer? Does it effect color?

Running N butane, or 70-30 N butane/propane mix.

Cheers

1 Like

Even “dry material” will have some water content or should unless going for crude. But the answer is with moisture present you should be running colder as to not bring moisture with you as much & also run mol sieve to catch any that is present in the extraction.

4 Likes

Thats what I figured, so basically if you’re running cold it doesn’t matter? Do you know if drying your material right out effect terps and sauce? And if you don’t does it effect return

1 Like

It will always effect the profile of the concentrate as overly dried flower doesn’t have a good of a terpene presence either.

Now running cold & running cold enough to not pull moisture & subliminate it into your extract are much different. You’ll always want to be below -40c IMO to avoid it. But with moisture content in the extract you’ll always have loss. You just have to know how to run the parameters properly to avoid it.

1 Like

Fresh frozen preserves not only terps, but also the highly valuable trichomes. Check out a video we shot of us running frozen broccoli florets (only thing close to flower we could legally find in NY at the time). Notice the output material out of the mill.

Fresh Frozen Test

3 Likes

What about harvesting it and letting it hang for a few days while I work through freezing and blasting? I have a small freezer that’ll hold as much as I can run in a day. I have a little bit coming down at our grow a week early due to greenhouse issues from storms. It’s not enough to justify going nuts over. It’s 30-50 pounds that I can blast in a couple of long days. I just can’t get to it until next Wednesday or Thursday and they are chopping it as I type this. It’s being hung in our drying room as we usually do. Any reason I can’t take it slightly dried, freeze and blast it? I couldn’t see an issue other than getting the water to a solid and locking it up.

1 Like

Just dry it out all the way or freeze it straight off the plant, half ass drying leads to compost/mulch terps

5 Likes

If ur freezer isn’t getting cold enough you’ll push the water out and encase the trichs making it very hard to extract

U need -80f freezer or dry ice for a fast freeze, for live id use jacket column if I had one and run dry ice cold solvent over dry ice frozen material…

Live vs dry…live is lighter in color w more terps and flavor more like when it was fresh on the plant

I’ve seen some material thats better dried out bc had to strong of flavor live.

I freeze my material w dry ice no matter if its live or dried. I do so w the intent to freeze the fats wax and lipids and lock them up in the plant. Dry ice solvent also lowers the solubility of the solvent allowing it to not pick up the fats wax and lipids as much

Yes u can take slightly dried material and blast it but u better freeze it fast w dry ice

3 Likes

I’d planned on throwing it in my dry ice bunker, which is why I said my freezer was small. I run dry-ice cold solvent through an injection coil into jacketed columns with cured material already. Most of my runs are grow house trim that’s months old. It wants to come apart into poop-soup at room temp.

I always hang dried for a few days. Then froze in standard deep freeze, surface ice makes for a stressful extracting process, and you know your yields will suffer. This is only due to my limited capacity to freeze fast and cold enough to avoid these problems.

U need a crc…then it’ll sugar like live resin at room temp

If u jarred the oil and let it cure it would still sugar up anyways but have darker terps

1 Like

Dry it 10-14 days and run it. I agree with @pdxcanna

2 Likes

This! :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2: Learned this the hard way.

5 Likes

are you saying to run thc soaked hydrocarbon over a mol sieve? I never heard of that?

That’s in reference to your gas. If you run cls you recover then possibly blast again. Running a mol sieve will dry the gas (if your beads are dry & not used up) upon passing through. Leaving your next run still efficient as can be for the most part.

2 Likes

yeah i have mol sieve on the ass end. your post confused me in the context of the post.

it would be nice to have a walkin too to prevent condensation while packing tubes.

1 Like

Oh the things I wanna build to optimize things. :sob:

1 Like

If you do do that make sure you distill the gas or have already “washed” them you will have a lot of dust in your extract if you dont. Read that the wrong way. Nevermind

ive never heard of running oil across it.I have run wet hydrocarbon to dry but then it gets distilled so no dust would make it in other than potentially residuals in a hose or valve realostically- i saw no dust anyways but im not using mol sieve other than the ass end anyways.

2 Likes