Why does shatter sugar up

Hey guys! I have shatter that turned halfway into sugar and I love how it’s smoking and the flavor. My question is WHY does shatter sugar up and HOW can I make shatter sugar up faster ! Thanks

Higher terp Extracts seem to sugar. Honestly, we probably sacrificed loads of beautiful terpenes to the altar of shatter.

How are you finishing your Extracts currently?

9 Likes

I’m not an extractor! Not yet anyways! I just smoke and medicate. It was nug run shatter probably with butane. I’m just wonder how I can turn any shatter into sugar. And honestly would like to know the science behind it. I thought it was when the moisture levels went down due to humidity and fats and lipids disolved into the air. Idk how any of this works guys hahaha.

1 Like

Step one take your shatter and put it in your car
Step two drive to the beach
Step three go get a sandwich at board and brew
Step four go chill for a bit
Step five go back to the car and check out your sugared up shatter

27 Likes

That’s not science but I love it!

im no scientist. it seems like its degrading? so oxidation? is sugar thca or is it just textured wax?

I will say- the stuff that i grow and make into shatter and turns to sugar accidentally is very high in terps. so terps is part of it. if i make oil out of old stuff it wont sugar. So in my current opinion- suga is degraded fresh bho product.

1 Like

I agree with @thumper , seems most high terp stuff will sugar up and stuff that is older and doesn’t have much taste seems to stay stable as glass.

2 Likes

I can teach u to make stable shatter easy doesn’t matter the terps

BTW it sugars up bc its such a pure extract he blasted cold cold. The higher terpenes causes the thca to want to move throughout the shatter and sugar up
Few things u can do to make stable shatter

But why would u wanna turn shatter into sugar instead just making sugar to begin w?

If I wanted sugar id post process for sugar…if I wanted shatter I’d do few pre process things differently and post process differently and make shatter

Making stable glass like shatter is an art so is making sugar sauce

8 Likes

it

6 Likes

It’s Science as long as you write it down. Otherwise it’s just fucking around.

5 Likes

Science: fucking around, and finding out!

10 Likes

You can sugar faster if you spray butane on it and let it sit on the oil. What happens is the oil becomes more mobile and the separation can happen faster. Shatter is oiled out thca that was purged too fast to allow it to sugar out. So shatter that sits in heat can basically become more mobile and start to separate the sugars from the terps. Stable shatter means there is about 80%thca and the rest is Terp. Because the thca is so concentrated it will want to sugar out on its own but since the solvent was purged fast to make shatter, this separation didn’t happen. Therefor only heat will speed it up or by adding solvent to it

Here’s something to help visualize those ratios. When we pour out from the machine into jars it’s basically liquid crystal. The jar on the left crashed out too fast and it shows poor formations but it also shows the ratio of thca to terps in the extract. The one on the right is crashing slowly by controlling how fast the solvent leaves the extract and that allows for clean faceted diamonds

19 Likes

Fucking love board and brew

2 Likes

With the special sauce!!! Not gonna lie I used to make medicated board and brew sauce. Wasn’t too popular but I bet I was the first to do it

1 Like

Even with crude? I thought most crude came out at like 60-70%. I’ve had my crude come out as shatter and it turns into sugar wax when left out in heat.

1 Like

Yea some biomass can have almost no terps. The thca in the biomass can stay intact for a long time if stored somewhere cool to prevent decarboxylation but if it’s not airtight the terps can gass off. That would produce very stable crude

5 Likes

Does this tek need to be done at Carlsbad village or can it be done at any board and brew by the beach?

2 Likes

Works at 12th st del mar too

3 Likes

Hey so I know that to make shatter more stable you have to purge the terps more fully, but there’s a limit to how high you can raise the temperature till it begins sugaring. Has anyone tried doing their purging initially with a roughing pump like a dry scroll followed by a turbo or diffusion? I imagine if you get deep enough vac depth at 105°F and let it stabilize at that condition, it’ll never sugar once removed from the oven. Right?
Edit: this is overkill

2 Likes