why do you hate spd turnkey systems?

other then being overpriced and often having unnecessary parts in the package… my company is looking to buy a 2L spd system i have tried to talk them into going with rocco scientific. they quoted me 955 for the boiling flask, head, tricow adapt, and coldtrap we could easily source a mantle, vac pump and chiller for another 1000-2000 putting us under half the price of a turn key from LS. apparently money is not as important as time when sourcing the equipment they want to pull the trigger on a turnkey system from lab society i dont understand it but its not my money so, what are the downsides of this system if any other then the price.

3 Likes

They put the wrong gear for the setup, and charge a hefty “turn-key” fee.

2 Likes

Is thar the pakage with the singel stage vacuum pump ?
If so a second pump will/must be. Needed

3 Likes

They are way overpriced and many non essential parts. Im looking at quotes right now for a company and so much is not needed. A lot of these companies are going through equipment lending companies so they nust need a quote, and companies like LS know that most of the people making the final decision dont know that they dont know that they dont need half the stuff. It took me about 3 mins to shave 27k off there quote for non essential equipment or ways around the canna tax. Not knocking LS at all i was just shocked at the qoute for the equipment

4 Likes

i know one of the sale reps personally at LS he used to be my lab partner and even getting a 20% off discount on the full turn key 2L with vac and chiller was 13,000+ what an outrageous price tag… i have tried to talk to my employer and explain how big the price mark up is. he dosent seem to mind its just driving me crazy and its not even my money :grimacing:

1 Like

the quote i got included a PolyScience SD07R heated/chilling recirculator (-20C to 170C),and a WelchCRV Pro4 rotary vane vacuum pump

How turnkey are we talking? Like do you need a stainless steel table with the lattice drilled in? All of the glassware on our Xtractordepot 2L is less than 4k. So it all depends on what you already have.

we are not in a C1D1 environment and to my knowledge this is going to require to be done in our fume hood, with the solvents i will be using i dont believe our room has the proper air exchange outside the hood. so no table but basically the full turnkey system.

things i am going to require for this project that we dont currently have in the lab:
full 2L spd setup (mantle, glassware, pump, chiller, probes, stands)
24/40 dimroth condenser
5L seperatory funnel

The welch is far from optimum and the chiller is great but extremely expensive for this duty

1 Like

Whats the dimroth for ??

im going to be removing the head and placing the dimroth in its place and fluxing a solution of toluene and iodine in the boiling flask before washing and removing toluene via shortpath.

1 Like

Aha the CBN enndevour
Hope you want to try it on distillate and not crude
About remuving touleen with a short path you better get yourself 2 big coldtraps for it will pass the condensor for sure ending in your vacuum oil pronto
Al i can recomend is get a hold of a real chemist for this reaction is tougher than it looks

3 Likes

We are starting with isolate, I was thinking the same thing. I have someone to consult with that does it on a larger scale of 10L They use a rotovap to remove the toluene tho.

2 Likes

So is it easier to remove toluene from a distillate using a short path or a rotary evaporator?

Short path, at the end

1 Like

Thank you!!

Hey can you DM me and walk me through your experience?

Sure its been awhile but doubt much has changed