Why do people pay 2X or more for broad spectrum vs cbd isolate when they are branding it as "CBD"?

Hi all, I’ve had this thought for a bit and I wanted to share it with the forum to see what you all think. It appears to me that there is a big divide between wholesale value of minors in distillate and retail value. The buzz word in retail today is “CBD” and it appears that most companies selling it simply brand and market their products as “CBD infused” or something similar. However, at the wholesale level I constantly see prices of broad spectrum that are 2x or more than CBD ISO. So, I’ve been asking myself some questions:

Are retailers putting broad spectrum in their products while still just marketing it as CBD? If so, why is that when the price difference is so high?
What consumer products are using broad spectrum specifically?
Who are the people/ type of companies that are buying the broad spec oil for 2x the ISO and why?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Fear. Businesses want the least t for the least risk but need liquids instead of powders often.
Crude is dirt cheap now. It’s being used a lot.

2 Likes

I see what you mean. If you are paying extra for broad spectrum why not market it that way? I wonder if they don’t think ‘broad spectrum’ means something like ‘high grade’ and to them it’s all CBD. Maybe it’s general confusion on the consumers end about what exactly broad spectrum even means.

2 Likes

Very few consumers know anything about minors and consider all cbd oil to be cbd oil. the only other thing they know about is thc and that it will get you high.

I own a CBD tincture company and we do specific blends with tinctures using CBD with CBG for our daytime tincture, and CBD with CBN for our night time tincture, then our tincture with just CBD is marketed for animals.

We have a ton of blogs and information aimed at helping consumers understand the difference of minor cannabinoids so they can make an educated decision when buying our products.

My day job is managing a hemp extraction/processing facility and the people we sell to do prefer the broad spec oil and will gladly pay more for it but in the end when you see their products marketing there is almost never any mention of broad spectrum cbd. they either just list it as CBD or they failed completely and market it as full spectrum.

Moral of the story is most consumers dont have a clue.

2 Likes

Thanks! So naming it anything else than “CBD” can be brand suicide because the consumers just don’t understand anything else? I can see that for sure.

However, why would the buyer of the raw material continue to purchase the broad spectrum at such high prices? Do you know if there are scientific backed claims that the CBD with the other cannabinoids (be the CBG or CBN) is actually better or more efficient for such daytime or nighttime tinctures? Or any other consumer good for that matter?

I sell my hemp product line to a few dozen stores, and if I can tell you one thing it’s that people are really uneducated and don’t care to be unfortunately.
Everybody’s an expert, they change their opinions every other week based upon what the last sales rep for some bs company told them. One week they think CO2 is the greatest the next week they swear by nano and nothing else…
95% of the shop owners/managers won’t even take a look at a COA, 100% of them don’t get products randomly tested to confirm contents.

I wouldn’t put too much effort into trying to appease them with labeling, instead just focus on creating a quality product that speaks for itself.

5 Likes

Yeah my thinking now is maybe consumers see a modifier word next to CBD like ‘broad spectrum’ and think it means cut or less pure. Has to be an educational issue on the consumer end the more you logic it out.

1 Like

There are thousands of companies advertising “100% the purest CBD” as if that is an accurate descriptive term for their product as well. All in all it’s a bit of a shitshow currently

2 Likes

We still advertise CBD and our SEO is CBD heavy but we also add in key works like broad spec and CBG and CBN to capture any of the people that may be a little more educated.

I’d guess some of it is because CBD is an FDA approved drug (Epidiolex), and it’s illegal to market+sell an isolated API over the counter. So lots of companies produce+sell consumers full spectrum as a way to show that their products are just full spectrum hemp extract, and any CBD in them are merely naturally occurring and not isolated.

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks