Why am i getting disty on the outside when i start my run

always get a little disty dripping down when i start my 2nd pass. it doesn’t make sense lol. anybody got any ideas of why?

Is the rig fully cleaned before you start? Could be residual oil from the previous run melting back down.

2 Likes

Could have vaporized and hung out up top and then like @Distillight it probably melted and came down.

2 Likes

The unit is fully cleaned with ethanol before each run, and any residuals are vacuumed out. The whole unit is glass, so we heat gun anything hanging out on the walls while vacuum is pulled, and this seems to clean everything.

Does it ever happen on 1st pass?

something similar, but not THC. seems like terps when doing the 1st pass.

Could it be heads sweating out as your glass all comes to temp?

2 Likes

Have you tasted/tested it?

not quite, just because it homogenizes with the rest of the crude by the time the run is done. we’ve tried to isolate but it inevitably ends up mixing with the waste when trying to retrieve it out of our collection flask.

I’d like to taste it. lol

1 Like

Nevermind, i was confused. I thought i read it was on the outside of the glass near joints.

If you can share your disty temps and vac parameters it may help diagnose.

start our 2nd pass runs as low as possible @ ~30mTorr, as soon as we introduce material it inevitably starts to rise. weve been ruuning for about an hour and our vac has raised to 89 mTorr. we usually finish our runs around 100-150mTorr.

evap temp 158c
90c
-14c

also spinning the blades like crazy @ 400rpm

Does it coil or just drip?

it coils as its collected into our flask. when its condensing onto the mantle it does seemingly just drip. the weird thing is it just shouldn’t happen where it is. I’m not too concerned of losing a couple grams of distillate…more just curious as to how/why it appears where it does. If its THC it should not condense where it is. as it makes its way into the waste ball, our theories are confirmed as there is a glob of disty chillin. as the run progresses it seems to correct itself and we’re off the the races. Its just that first hour or so where it seems the disty is ending up where it shouldn’t.

At start the initial burst of oil can cool down the heat bands of the column slightly, maybe give yourself more preheat time on startup. Or maybe it’s cbn passing through if the material is old.

4 Likes

images
I’m reminded of this scene; then I realize it isn’t distilling on the outside of the glass.

2 Likes

Twas me 100%

1 Like