Who makes your favorite hydrocarbon extraction system. What makes it your favorite over others?

There is actually a pass thru fitting available. That part maybe a pass thru union or something?
Im not a metallergegist not sure if boring it out does anything to the intergrity of the piece? If its froze down low or something?
Prbly a 30$ part im guessing

Mustv missed the welded to lid part? Lol

Sawgelock is expensive. I usually use titan fittings cause cheaper. I havnt had any issue wirh their parts.

1 Like

not a reader either…

the manuracturer refers to them as BORED THROUGH

https://products.swagelok.com/en/c/straights/p/SS-400-1-8BT

you can also bore them your own damn self.

No, OEM does not “bore them out” at this point.
No, don’t do this freehand.

yes, so long as you’re not touching the taper the ferule interacts with, or heating it up to a million degrees because you’re boring with a blunt instrument, you can safely perform this trick in a machine shop near you.

3 Likes

I read just fine as i dont pay for over priced sawgelock unless i need it same day.

which is why you restated that “they actually make a pass through” ?!?
(or are you assuming it’s ME who can’t read? So you had to say it twice?)

yep. Swagelok call it “bored through”. as does Parker and Tylok at this point.

cause the first ones were made by a mother fucker with a boring bar on a lathe.

3 Likes

Most likely by a machinist? Not sure of his fabricating skills. Considering what he is working with.
And im not the small parts guy just referenced where he could find the part
U certainly knew what i meant

As it happens, he was EXPLICITLY asking a machinist when he called out @TwistedStill (So I made a thing to decarb with.... …now you know)

@FicklePickle most likely had a 3/8" compression fitting WELDED into the lid.

the fact that you can buy that fitting “as a pass through” from titan fittings doesn’t solve the problem.

he would need to buy a new lid with a bored through fitting.

OR ask is buddy the machinist.

yes, you absolutely

but unfortunately purchasing that part does NOT solve the problem as presented.

yes.

…and my contention is merely that you understood neither @FicklePickle or myself fully.

edit: Led the horse to water. got it h2o too. wtf is it dead?!?

4 Likes

It’s not $425k, a few points lower than that… for now. But $ isn’t a downside when the upside is that it basically prints substantially more $ on the output.

1 Like

for CBD maybe, ive never seen a cannabis operation go as smooth as plug and play parameters even for the same strain from the same cultivator.

There are so many nuances and variables I don’t think were at that level of autonomy for something like that system to be implicated properly.

Luna has been in business since 2016. If you want to fly out to Oregon and see a recreational cannabis facility cranking it out with Luna Tech as the anchor hit me a dm and I can get a tour set up for you. Everyone can speculate, but it’s always best to see it (and smell it) for yourself. Open invitation @RealSlick . I’ll even buy you dinner. You like steak?

3 Likes

Can I steal @RealSlick s invitation?

4 Likes

Luna IO implicated in cannabis extraction?!?

Indeed!

However, you probably ought take @thatmidastouch up on their offer to see that which you disparage, up close and personal, before jumping to too many conclusions regarding their implementation

5 Likes

Just FYI, despite having a full ass machine shop at my disposal there have been a few occasions where I’ve had to drill out the stops on fittings by hand. It is doable but very not fun. I’ve done up to 1/2", I recommend using a sharp drill (stuff made for high speed aluminum actually works best because they tend to be sharpest) and leaning on it hard while drilling slowly. If you ever stop making a chip, 300 series likes to work harden to the point you have trouble getting carbide to touch it. In every case for me this was done because someone fucked up and welded the wrong part into something too large to bother getting on the mill/lathe.

As far as damaging the part, yeah there’s no metallurgical consideration. As long as you don’t take out more material that swagelok does there’s no reason the part would perform differently

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’ve probably wrecked as many on the lathe as I have drilling them by hand…and bored 3x more than I’ve purchased that way.

If you are seriously interested in purchasing automated hydrocarbon or automated ethanol processing equipment, or if you work with clients that are looking for these solutions, please DM me. Let’s get something on the board.

1 Like

haha we are genuinely looking at purchasing equipment for our MA facility in the next few months, were currently fundraising and constructing the building.

I may actually take you up on a tour if you’re saying the proof really is in the pudding.

I LOVE automation, I am just still a skeptic until I see it work with consistent and repeatable results.

2 Likes

Tapioca, chocolate or vanilla?.. When it really comes down to it I know you’re really interested in that $Bread$Pudding$, which is what I can help you with. The kind of $Bread$Pudding$ that can even fit a Paleo Diet. All I’m asking is that you COME OUT AND TASTE THIS PUDDING! (Give it a sniff too, it smells good n’ terpy) Seriously, I’ve got you on some samples if you make the trip and would love to show you what we do.

I’ve ran them and wasn’t very impressed. I ended up modifying it heavily to get it to run the way and produce the quality I wanted. Ended up using the plc manually to trigger functions that I wanted it to complete in the order I wanted. Also thought it was really lame that the system doesn’t have a function to just run a bunch of solvent through the columns. You have to fill, soak, drain. Then, since the extraction method was poor you have to fill, soak drain again two more times to get all the yield out. Really poor design for the price (400kish). You can run about 75 lbs a shift with that. Lot of other options at that price range that can crank out several hundred lbs in a shift these days. The automation features are kind of cool but any extractor I’ve met worth their salt doesn’t care to them and would rather run a machine manually

8 Likes

Do you have to run your material more than once in a Luna to get an efficient extraction?

1 Like

Do you test your spent biomass?

What % of thc in your spent biomass do you need to consider it an efficient extraction?

Do you honestly think soaking one time at the temps most people run will ever pull enough cannabinoids to not warrant another soak?

4 Likes