WHO IS THE REAL ORIGINAL (tool) FACTORY 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

So let’s be frank, in this day and age EVERYTHING is made overseas pretty much which means one thing - companies are simply not making their own materials (stateside) anymore, they’re simply rebranding what they already bought overseas which means what? SAVINGS IF YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT A STUPID LOGO. I was watching a Project Farm video just a few minutes ago on nut extractor sets and was shocked at how many WERE EXACTLY LIKE THE LAST TESTED. Now, this is par for the course in our business all the time but in terms of tradesman tools this is huge.

Which after a bit of googling led me to this article.

This snip explains precisely what I’m talking about here. Granted these are specialized (loosely) tools but if you do a bit of digging you will in fact see that this extends out to basic nut extractors and fucking even ratchet sets - undoubtedly TONS of other tools we regard as ‘high end’ like MAC, Matco, Snap-on, etc. Granted, I went to trade school and know the importance of really good tools (and thoroughly drank the ‘only buy the tool truck tools’ kool-aid) but this is something we need to be teaching our kids these days if we really want to show them how to stretch a buck.

If you guys have any more helpful links showing insaneo-cheap products from the same factory as their expensive counterparts post em’ up, this could be the difference between ‘way over budget’ and ‘holy shit we have money left over’ for someone doing a sizable buildout.

10 Likes

For anyone interested in mechanics hand tools specifically, the “tool truck equivalents” thread on I think it was garagejournal has a big heckin list of these.

I got me some real fantastic ratchets for a very good price.

4 Likes

A lot of people here should have high end hand tools always on deck for clamps and what have you. I honestly don’t know how anyone with zero-to-low repair skills and a lack of tools would ever dream about touching an extraction system

5 Likes

Rolling Bins For The Wins

1 Like

My experience with working through the range of hand tools is that there’s a pretty good selection of cheaper tools with perfectly acceptable tolerances.

These days for wrenching on cars and bikes I buy Gearwrench stuff and honestly they feel a lot tighter in tolerance than the big box brands.

I have a couple fancy bits from Kyoto Tool Co. like a sliding T bar and a stubby square drive ratchet but I save it for the really finicky stuff.

1 Like

I love Project Farm. I just watched a video on how HHO generators don’t work.

There’s a lot of subcontracting in China with LED lights. A lot of them are the exact same with a different logo.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Is this in regards to products not being made stateside? I think it’s excellent how you protected your (American) IP against China clone manufacturing.

No I’m here to point out the incredible oxymoron of going to “original factory”

Do you not see or under stand this oxymoron ???

Yeah this site was better off with that moron silenced

I’d be concerned that someone so fucking stupid he can’t see the thread name was a takeoff of another makes lab gear but that’s just me. Mold to gold boys, jesus christ.

1 Like

The post and article you used as a reference was poorly written by someone highly uneducated in the subject matter. Mostly inaccurate opinions and false demonstration of subjective manufacturing issues with trying to find the “original factory”

You seem like you have a happy life with many loved ones.

Here I’ll lay it out with you as best as I can without using crayons and paper to help the others understand.

If a OEM does the r and d and produces the sample part themselves this is work that has been done and the manufacturer overseas most likely has no idea about the technology or what it took to get there.

They typically have a domestic agent they hire to hold the IP and to stand in the factory to ensure no corners are cut. And the right materials are used while the tolerances are you spec.

This means say a 55 dollar ratchet wrench has all the appropriate technology and ip and materials being used for production. These say-american companies- invest the time and knowledge to provide a quality product as well as ensuring it’s certified for consumer use while also having a insurance policy and similar protections in place for consumers. (Here’s where china’s actual barrier is-lack of funding and intelligence). This also consists of planting seeds for purchase to customers in the first pre year and post year of sales. This is the largest barrier that prevents overseas companies in entering said industry since they don’t spend money where it counts.

Now let’s say you go to the “original factory”, what you will find is something maybe similar. However the way it works is…

Oem may pay 25 dollars for a 55 dollar retail item(29-32 wholesale) It may actually cost the factory 18-19 dollars of that 22 dollar cost to the oem to produce said “ratchet wrench” especially in those volumes.

When you find a copy, the things to remember is typically the insides or technology is not the same even if the outside looks the same. This also goes for materials. So the way it works…

China may resell the item for 30-40 dollars to come under the oem. However they will spend (with margins) approx 4 dollars to build the part. Maybe 6. Overall china is scamming and making more from the customer (on the backs of American funding and engineering) while providing a false sense of “original manufacturer” components to the customer inturn making a huge risk and liability for the sellers with the fact that cheaper and unsafe components are used. Typically garbage potted metals or recycled metals. The shit rip off of what the consumer is getting is all profits to china. In America this is criminal and felonious behavior that relates to breaking consumer trust laws and business anti trust regulations.

When the jig is up they usually get itc complaints filed and bc they aren’t citizens here, we as Americans cant do anything except ban it… …china’s next move is to rebrand as another company(due to unethical conduct to begin with) and then re release the product in 20 variations with 20 boxes that are different in 20 different registered names to help ensure thier fradulent sales in America to try and confuse and delay the next itc complaint. Typically it complaints are containing within sort of quality and injury related complaints.

Sellers who do Thier own work In USA and protected by liability related laws and case law that has taken a hundred years to get to where we are today. Sellers who sell counterfeit copies in markets(like a USA entity selling china crap that isn’t safe) like a domestic market here are not protected by liability laws and insurance policies bc they willfully took the risk-conduct to unjustly enrich themselves while knowing they endangered consumers. A great example is a while ago we used to see floating arm chairs and overhead cantalever umbrellas flood the market. Can you guess why 2/3of those companies/brands currently aren’t on Amazon and so forth? Can you guess why those sellers who aren’t in business anymore due to floods of injury lawsuits from dozens of lawyers came in and they folded over it maybe? How many people were injured from falling from “properly” assembled “original factory” products…

I’d rather spend 55 dollars on a ratchet wrench and have quality sockets than buying a 30-40 dollar ratchet and bust my knuckles 2/3 times when I really don’t want it to slip off. My two cents.

This is why the oxymoron exists about the “original factory” since what you are getting is purposely neglectfully constructed/quality of a product to unjustly enrich unethical sellers in china.

1 Like

If it takes you that long to come to an actual point god help your customers.

1 Like

I love harbor freight. I never save the receipts. They ask my phone number and I’m good. I’ve broke a few tools there. Never once have I had to explain a thing. It’s grab a replacement off the wall and off I go.

I’m not a professional nor need professional tools.

Even when building extractors though? Not even trying to be a dick as I know nothing about constructing them at all.

You could give me a million dollar tool set made out of gold and the baby teeth of the poor and i’d still fuck building one of those up

I use their torque wrenches but most of the individual sockets I use are from Home Depot cause it’s across the street and I can just grab a long socket it I need it. I use an Ashcroft digital gauge to check pressure.

I use a good vise I grabbed from Amazon. What other tools are there.

I got a table saw, miter saw and a number of harbor freight tools I use to fix stuff across the house, cars and toys.

Just got a pneumatic oil extractor for the jetskis and it’s awesome. I can’t wait to find uses for it. Got it on Father’s Day for $70 and it’s paid for itself with one Jetski oil change

2 Likes

Ditto, all my impact wrench stuff and anything nonspecialized I use on my car are the Lowes specials - if you’re in the middle of a project if you fuck up a ratchet waiting a week for a replacement is a death sentence

Duuuude! Link! Transfer pumps are the best fucking thing i’ve ever had laying around

3 Likes