Who else was scammed by arometrix and their fraction finder?

What makes you think it should work? The advertised function is to detect d9 THC not just display contamination that correlates to fractions getting darker

3 Likes

There will be PhDs on both sides making claims. Have you ever been in civil litigation? It’s expensive, not fun, and there is so little to be gained in this case. It’s foolish to make emotional decisions financially “just to see them squirm”. There is no worthwhile case here.

1 Like

I’m not arguing about if a lawyer is a good idea I’m just stating the sequence of events in a way that hopefully makes my point of view more clear.

Any companies who promote this product are inadvertently selling something that “could work”
when it’s advertised as something that “can work”.

3 Likes

So in this case, I guess it’s up to the manufacturer of the Cannabis oil to get the oil tested again after the run (via HPLC) to make sure they know what they have.

And I never used the product but I always thought it was a monitoring device more than anything. I thought it was so you can see when you’re starting to hit your D9 fraction. :octopus::expressionless:

Monitoring short path fractions was the first application it was developed for. That work has its own flaws. The deception is that instead of labeling their “indicator regions” as “mains”, “body”, and “tail” they chose to label it as “fools gold”, “d9-THC”, and “degraded”.

This is already improper labeling but to then take the sensor, which is made for a single application, and apply that “D9-THC” label to other situations is a WILD oversell of what the product has been validated to do. Mind you these peaks are not some kind of fancy or unique indicator, it’s just blue light. 420nm light is blue which, as Arometrix acknowledges in their papers, could be from any number of sources and should have required more investigation.

To demonstrate how ridiculous this is, please check out this fluorescence spectra. As you can see, if you follow @arometrix advice, this material is full of cannabinoids… it’s actually literal chicken shit. Point being that lots of things can create blue light, including contamination from grass.

data from Arometrix to compare

6 Likes

Holy fucking shit was this an official claim by the manufacturer?

1 Like

I consider Arometrix to be the brain child of Digivac and Summit but they probably aren’t considered the manufacturer. Probably a reseller.

It’s clear that Elliot (summit) has no fucking clue how this sensor works. I wonder how many people were sold one through his shop and promised people things that not even Arometrix would claim.

5 Likes

*not an optics guy but…

If I were to attempt to design and sell a sensor I’d be sure to show

1. a linear, log-linear, or otherwise reproducible response to the pure chosen analyte representable by an equation with high reproducibility.
  2. an equivalent response in the matrix chosen for the application showing an equally reproducible relationship between only the analyte and sensor response.
6 Likes

My theory on why Arometrix doesn’t ever respond with coherence is that they’ve fired the phd’s engineers that originally did this work.

I think that the company is borderline a scam that the engineers pulled off on Tim and Elliot.

The engineer created the underlying research which justifies paying them to develop a custom platform. Hundreds of thousands of dollars later Tim and Elliot have a scrappy engineered product with a totally shit application note that was only meant to initially justify building the sensor. Then as time goes on the phd’s become only one and then none.

The only ones who made good money are the engineers who tricked their foolish bosses into publishing and supporting the research. Now it’s too late for Elliot/Tim to walk that back. Just a theory!

4 Likes

Definitely PhBros runnin the show

2 Likes

ROFLMAO… Elliot would say just about anything to sell a unit. We’ve had people come through our shop a couple years later and tell the stories about all the crazy things he would say and what he would say about our unit. Which obviously he was lying about his and ours so that way he would sell his.

If you browse through their source code you’ll find that it’s actually just a copy of some old Accustrata code remapped over as a new device. It was probably only a couple hours of work to make the transition because accustrata makes spectrometers.

This sensor was a rushed to market system by elliot.

I have measured the UV source LED and it’s a strong 365nm peak but also with a ton of visible light with most intensity around blue. Without a uv bandpass filter to clean up the signal, it is naturally contaminated with visible light. :person_shrugging::person_facepalming:

4 Likes

I wonder if they licensed that or just ripped it

2 Likes

Sounds like a probable cause for copyright violation right there. Has anyone contacted them? Lmao.

1 Like

Is that 420 nm claim about the emission or detection?

2 Likes

Accustrata is the some of the same group, they founded arometrix partly to avoid having cannabis work at accustrata

4 Likes

Gotcha

1 Like

You can see the blue light in the emission of the source light in just about every video of its operation and if you have one in hand it’s pretty obvious.

Which it can also end up in the detection depending on how much of the UV was blocked by the product.

Edit: 365nm UV is not visible. The colors you see are of the visible spectrum, to include white, just not as strong as blue.

2 Likes

The blue is in the emission spectra, the Uv light they use is a 365nm led

4 Likes

3 Likes

From the horses mouth

5 Likes