White Water Hash?

Messing around in the lab today and made a solventless sticky white material from grey 76uM hemp kief by adding pressure without any heat. Only materials that were used in this were water and hemp biomass with 8% CBDA.

My partner thinks it could be cannabinoids sticking to waxes that came from the plant, but so far we have only ran a cannabinoid potency test.

Anybody have any ideas about what the white substance is or what other tests I should run on the next batch (besides a terpene test) to figure out what it is?

Grey 76 uM Kief (26% CBDA, 0.68% CBD)
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 11.50.04 AM

Sticky White Material (46% CBDA, 0.81% CBD, 0.83% THCA, 0.08% THC)

3 Likes

Was pressure applied in a micron bag? If so you may have removed impurities from the kief and could be left with cannabinoids and waxes.

No bags were used.

If this is still the kief, I can see how impurities being removed could change the color and increase the cannabinoid percentage.

The cannabinoid percentage almost doubled so if it lost any cannabinoids it was a small relative to the amount of impurities removed.

How do I test if it’s waxes or trichome heads? Winterize it?

1 Like

Well that’s interesting. What’s the smell like (or taste if you’ve tried it in the name of science)

Did you press it like rosin through a bag after or what do you mean by applied pressure?

Do it again

Good questions. We thought it was waste, so we didn’t do basic tests. We didn’t get what we were expecting out of the process, but saw this as a byproduct so we sent it in for potency testing and found out it had 46% cannabinoids.

We actually applied pressure to the kief in water so it was a bagless, pressless way of doing it.

We’ll make a bigger batch next week and I’ll taste it, smell it and send it out for some terpene tests. Any other things I could do to see what this thing is good for?

I mean if it smells good and isn’t loaded with heavy metals I’d smoke it. As far as I can tell it’s just heavily washed bubble. Is it a bubble hash consistency now that it’s dry or straight up powder? You should look at it under a microscope to see if it’s just really light trich heads.

If you’ve got a rosin press lying around you should press some in a bag just to see what the hell oozes out. That’s the first thing I would do.

2 Likes

Do people smoke CBD hash?

Should have another batch next week and will report back.

There’s a very small niche of people washing CBD flower well enough that the end product is smokable. I see it in some online communities and I’ve seen some retailers carrying things like CBD “temple balls” which appear to just be hash with probably CBD distillate in there to congeal it more. The color on this is far better than what I’ve seen online but the terps would be what make or break it

I wouldn’t build a business around it but assuming it’s clear from a safety standpoint it may be worth showing to resellers. People are intrigued by different

2 Likes

How did u apply this pressure? Like just a tank with 50 Psi of air or gas? Pressure washer? Garden hose with your thumb?

We’re probably applying close to 1000 psi to a small amount of area.

This was one of the products in our development of a solventless vapable oil or crude equivalent.

From our initial research we thought that we would be able to minimize the fats, lipids and waxes in our product since we aren’t using solvents and we aren’t breaking open the plant cell walls, but after this it’s looking like there are fats, lipids, gums or waxes in the trichomes that will come out even though we’re not breaking open the plant cells walls or using any solvents.