Where's that degumming thread, Future?

I am de-gumming and doing a brine wash after using pentane. Should i just winterize in my pentane solution or would it be recommended to devol and reintroduce a different solvent before winterizinng? Please help. its in the reactor right now…

If you need to winterize, you can’t do it in pentane because the waxes you are trying to remove are soluble in pentane at all temperatures. Evaporate and use ethanol. Hope this helps

4 Likes

Enzymes are catalysts not adsorbents.

So they don’t pull anything.

In this case they are chomping triglycerides.

6 Likes

You extracted them from the plant with your solvent of choice.

They are “non-target”. So removing them makes sense. Especially if they are getting in your way (refer to @Future’s response above).

Enzymes are being used to break them down so they can more easily be removed.

3 Likes

Thank you for putting it in simple terms. Since asking I’ve done a little more learning about the enzyme

1 Like

I know i’m a little late to this thread, but thank you for this.

Remember what a “gum” is, a carrier that can emulsify water soluble compounds into nonpolar phase. Degumming is good for removing contaminants that can oxidize as well as avoiding polar impurities passing through production.

Edit: using our degumming clay(DGC), instead of/or paired with enzyme, can also chelate heavy metals as well as bust gums and can help absorb the products of degumming when combined withT5.

5 Likes

Does decarbing before degum and winterization matter? Running cold ethanol Ive been getting better reults when i decarb pre degum . Now that ive switched from a cold etoh extraction with 20L roto and spd over to a heptane extraction with a dual ffe and 8inch single stage wiper my coworker insists on degumming the crude with plain water pre decarb. Im also also isomerizing the cbd to d8 post distillation.