Where to source food grade flavoring oils (without PG for DIY coffee creamer)?

Thanks to supply chain issues my creamer has been a challenge to find lately so I’ve done the logical thing and started to craft my own replacement.

I’m using MCT powder as a base with some heavy cream powder and xanthan for texture, its not bad as a base, but I’m struggling to get a real sense of flavor. I purchased some hobbyland flavorings I got off amazon and added it to maltodextrin powder I had, it separated out after a few days sitting in a plastic bag. Incorporating the powder didn’t impart any flavor, nor did it seem adding it directly to the mix. I’m looking for alternatives, or suggestions on where to source flavoring oils if anyone has experience with them. This flavoring oil is currently my favorite candidate to test next, says its oil soluble and without PG, but before I spend any more money going down this rabbit hole I’d like to see what suggestions the community has.

2 Likes

I prefer Lorann flavorings for just about everything… that I want to use a flavoring for instead of an ingredient base mix (aka pineapple flavoring instead of pineapple…)

Stupid cheap. Been around since the 60s and still going strong.

I haven’t seen PG in them - they do use other food fats and triglycerides. They have multiple lines if you want natural or novel flavors. And they have a pretty great online community for discussing how to mix flavors to get the things you want. -shrug-

2 Likes

@Nirvana_State may be able to point you in the right direction

1 Like

I appreciate the recommendation, ordered some today. We’ll see how it goes! :blush:

1 Like

Some of them have PG fwiw

Not sure about the super concentrated ones but pretty sure some of them are in PG.

You can probably find a local flavor chemist to formulate something for you or do something cheap out of their library if you buy a gallon or few lbs. A lot of them work in university labs in incubators and will make stuff cheap. Just call around and you’ll get people to send a few 30ml samples.

2 Likes

I haven’t ever used the compounded natural flavors - as when I’m going for natural flavors I use an ingredient base instead. :slight_smile:

They do provide specific ingredients on all their packaging - so you can see right away which ones have PG and which ones don’t if you are looking at the compounded stuff.

Personally I think using pineapple when you want pineapple is the way to go. -shrug-

And I don’t know any local chemists that produce food grade flavorings easily where I am now - I did have that in Colorado from CU Boulder… Other places, I’m not sure.