When to flip your plants for best bud growth- Age or size?

I flip based on size of plant. I tie my branches down throughout the first month or so of veg. You can veg twice as long and have twice as much growth if you train your plant. I would have to flip just after a month with training, with I can wait till two months veg. The idea is to have your canopy as even as possible. Your plants will stretch a minimum 50% after flip so you have to count that in also. If I flip a 3ft plant after a few weeks of 12/12 the plant will be 5ft give or take.

1 Like

yeah this is true. I run a small garden just for personal use and just cycle plants in and out every 2 weeks, so there’s always plants being cut down

1 Like

BigM, can I also identify a male based on lack of Pistols?

Very true. I’ve had plants go 8 weeks before showing. Seems like most of the ones that take forever to show wind up being female, at least for me.

1 Like

Males almost always show first thankfully. makes culling a lot easier

2 Likes

I would not use that as a gauge. Balls show really early compared to pistols. Get yourself a good 20x loop if you want to catch it as early as possible. I’ve tried using 50x and 100x, but its more of a hassle than its worth.

2 Likes

Once you’ve seen a few, you will probably be able to tell at this point. If not sure, I’d wait a little longer to see if any pollen sacs or pistils show so you don’t accidentally cut a female.

The young male is on the left, female in the middle, and a hermie on the right.

2 Likes

We sexed 550,000 starts this year and that picture shows up in my nightmares.

4 Likes

Should I expect to see any signs of a male under 18 hours of light? Or will I need to flip to 12/12 in order to see a sac? The first image I posted is definitely showing female signs under 18 hours light and I thought this other one was a male but no sacs yet.

Dang, that’s a ton! I like hearing that someone is doing it big here in WI. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It will show itself eventually under 18. Flipping may or may not speed things up a little, but will slow your vegative growth.

1 Like

controlled light dep for sexing is a pain in the ass and has to be adjusted for each strain, plus you have to deal with the reveg period while the hormones balance back out.

3 Likes

If you grow your clones in a veg room 4 week old plants really only need a 4 day veg before the flip and then you can get 5 rounds a year easy. I built my own tables and use a smart pot as a liner and do no till and don’t have any issues with things as long as you keep your room clean. going on 6 years and have the same soul in the beds. Also got red wigglers in each bed going off. the older the soil the better it gets if done correctly

5 Likes

Thats what im talkin bout, awesome setup man.

I have a washer just for cleaning my fabric pots. Use white vinegar (2 parts vinegar/1 part washer water) I can clean 20 5 gallon pots the same time it takes to wash my jeans in my other washer.

5 Likes

Doing something similar right now on a test grow. I might have to find me some reds to throw in there.

4 Likes

They work pretty good for me but was always in trays.

I have trash bags full these things from when I quit growing

image|281x500

A SCROG done with 3 tables, 8 plants a piece.

Always take into account that once the flip happens, they will stretch another 1/3 of their height when you flipped them so be sure to account for that as well.

I like to flip, and start my SCROG and as they stretch, immediately start weaving them. Once they are done stretching, lollipop the bottom for anything not getting light. This does two things… allows the top colas to pull more and get a lot bigger and potent and it also triggers the “stress response” making the colas to receive all of the stress horomones .

And old timers trick was to shove an 8 penny nail through the bottom of the stalk or take a razor blade and do a slit in the stalk below the buds. I pinch till it cracks my main stems after stretch is done (at about the 3 week mark) and watch em take off!

5 Likes

@BG305
Those plants will be fighting eachother for root space if that’s 1 big plot/pot. And what light tou rocking up there? I’m getting bored with my cmh

I flip at scheduled times. I dictate what happens in my grow. From light, time, rh, co2, etc.

Mines is sorta perpetual. After I chop, I have 1 week before the bmvegbroom moves into the flower room. That means 4 days of dry time (I wet chop, and net) in a 75*f and 55%rh room. Then into turkey bags for 9 days, then curing in half gallon Mason jars. After 3 weeks, theybare ready to pass.

After the flower room nets are gone, a 3 step wipe down of the entire room (20% bleach, 30% iso, h20), then 24hrs with my uvc light with all fans on 100%.

Then move plants. 2 weeks before flip, I take my personal round of clones. 10 days after, they get uppotted and the cycle continues. Later, rinse, repeat for 8yrs. It took me 2 yrs to dial in.

7 Likes

Those are some custom 850w LED’s I am working on. I have them dimmed down to 630w as I am doing a side by side with some DLI315’s.
This is how the room looks 3 weeks into flower. If I get a chance tomorrow I will start a log on this room from start to finish and the buildout. Its fully automated for cheap.

6 Likes