What's your Dry Ice excuse? (Non legal state)

Styrofoam cases work well for the transportation.

3 Likes

I was never asked a reason I just went in and said ×amount of lbs of pellets, pay the cashier, wait outside for my d.i then leave.

1 Like

Best excuse yet lol

4 Likes

Grocery stores don’t even carry dry ice here where I’m at.

Not even the local welding places have it.

I found literally only one place within an hour of me to buy it. It’s a florist and it’s 2 bucks a lb.

3 Likes

Manufacturing is the best reason for high volume if they ask. I had a welding supply bring in 2500lbs per week to freeze bushings for an interference press fit on a large contract of excavator boom rebuilds.

The mining/manufacturing industry where I live literally goes through 5000lbs per week of dry ice and probably another 5000lbs of liquid nitrogen.

3 Likes

Ask your welding supply to bring it in for you. You’ll probably have to buy a 500lb tote minimum though. Not sure how much you need.

1 Like

Order online ??

Yeah, luckily I’m just blasting small runs out here so it’s not a huge deal to pick up 30# or so. And the florist could care less and doesn’t ask questions, so it’s not the worst situation.

@densone, I looked into that too before I found the florist, it was way more than 2 a # that way.

1 Like

Tell them you own an ice cream truck. There are local ice cream wholesale places and they sell dry ice for the truck drivers, and lots of ice cream to of course.

I mean the truth is even if they are suspicious, they would have to call authorities notify them that someone is buying a whole 20 pounds of dry ice pretty regularly, at which point the authorities would have to open up an investigation, set up some kind of sting or follow you from the pick up. Then try to establish what you’re doing with it. So bottom line, I don’t think they give a fuck and I don’t think they could do anything if they did

3 Likes

Machine shops use it to shrink sleeves for engine blocks. I’m always rebuilding a tractor or three…

3 Likes

I always said for film shoots since I’m in LA

Organ transportation.

2 Likes

Yup, rebuilding another caterpillar.

2 Likes

Update**

75 lbs mixed chunky. $56

NO QUESTIONS ASKED! :green_heart:

1 Like

I was driving 4hrs (round trip) for ice at one point. It’s worth it

1 Like

Dry ice blasting uses up a mountain of dry ice fast! Tell him you want it cheaper be because you need to use so much!
Dry-ice blasting - Wikipedia

3 Likes

I buy by the ton. I told Barnes Welding supply I make hash. In tx, I am going out with some friends on their boat and they told me to grab dry ice for the fish

2 Likes

man, s/o to the plug for real.

2 Likes

grandpas frozen cryogenically and you have to go add more ice weekly

8 Likes