What's w all the Crc haters?

, ,

Tip the day* never place powder’s on the welded metal disk. Use a pre filter w filter papers or depth filter. This keeps your disk clean and powder free usually

19 Likes

Here is one common scenario.
cake starts clogging on the sintered disc. Problems back pressure? You know if any powders have shredding characteristics? Seems with inconsistent pressure increasing this will be be force feeding the powders through the sintered disc during the buildup of the cake.

This is my biggest problem with CRC. Improper filtration techniques and a false sense of security based on the operators knowledge (or lack thereof) of how depth filters/sintered filter discs work…over time, they will CLOG UP if too much contaminants make their way through the column, past your filter stacks, and into the disc. This can make for a potentially dangerous scenario during extraction, as well as an impure (and potentially dangerous) end product if proper testing/post-filtration is not performed prior to use.

My worry is that we have operators that simply just don’t know better.

Delta P should ALWAYS be measured across a pressurized filtration column, especially when that column isn’t regenerated/cleaned out after every use. The appropriate size/depth of the filter based on the impurities the operator is attempting to remove always need to be taken into consideration in order to ensure that we are not attempting to, or succeeding in, forcing solids through a filter, and in turn, creating an unexpected buildup of pressure in an area of the system that is not being properly measured/is not designed to handle.

For the most part, we are playing around in uncharted territory in this industry, and instrumentation/properly working pressure relief devices need to be incorporated into whatever closed systems are being used to achieve desired results.

I’m not saying we’re trying to reinvent the wheel here, these principles have all for the most part been adopted from other industries. It’s the ones actually performing these extractions that may lack the basic knowledge and understanding of thermodynamic principles (among other things) that scare me…

Be safe out there. If you’re not sure, research until you are.

13 Likes

I think consumers are fine as long as they use a waterpipe. Tell me how powder is gonna diffuse through the water. Prove me wrong!

9 Likes

Really?
Adsorption is your friend but you have to know your isotherms and make sure about the particle size distribution of your adsorbents.
If we are talking about taste, SPD is the real problem.
The whole perception that a concentrate can be judged by color is just crazy.
The industry has promoted color over quality because color is easy to achieve.

“Tell me how powder is gonna diffuse through the water. Prove me wrong!”
Silicon monoxide can be formed by heating silica and it has a significant vapor pressure.
It passes through a water scrubber in the gas phase then condenses as nanosize silica particles.
Pre washing of sorbents to remove fines is the way to go, or buy guaranteed prewashed materials.

11 Likes

We always add a layer of slikka pulver at the bottom of crc from summit and never had it clog once after I’d say for sure more than 100 runs. We pull with a mvp from one side and push with 30-50 psi from the top with pressure from solvent tank. @theherbwhisperer

4 Likes

What temp is silicon monoxide formed? Is this a problem or just for the red hot titanium nail squad?

OK so how about decanting the silica from your butane solution. Let a dilute butane solution settle for an hour and siphon off the top and push through your second crc filter.

People are doing more complex things in the Cannabis world than figuring out how to filter properly.

4 Likes

I think all the hate comes from people using Crc to clean up dark material and then sell it as something else.

I personally don’t feel like live resin or fire material needs Crc and at that point it’s just a novelt to get clear water and terps.

Let’s be real the majority of people paying to take these classes are using the knowledge to clean up mids not make a better Extract

I think a good use of the powders is cleaning up crude

5 Likes

I use a mild crc for the crystallization. Full crystallization and separation of terps within 3 days is forever a game changer.

I’m not running mids though. I’m running whole plant and sugar leaf only

13 Likes

That’s about the only advantage I can see is faster crystallization

3 Likes

That and for lightening up extracts from farmers who simply grew them to the point that the trichomes turned amber.

11 Likes

Crc hate comes from people being duped by the color of the extract.

Color has always been a solid way to judge the quality of the extract from a consumers point of view.

Crc has tossed everything the consumer uses to judge quality and thrown it out the window.

13 Likes

I seem to remember something like 460 C.
That is too hot for a vape but in with the nail rigs.

In my experience, I have seen more problems with filtration operations than almost any other.
Distillation columns usually do what they are supposed to and reactors react, but filters have many ways to screw up.
Once you get past a single sheet of filter media the failure modes are numerous.
I’m still working on the perfect winterization stack but getting close to satisfied.
I do adsorption operations as a slurry in a stirred pot because you have better control that way.

2 Likes

It’s because hitler and Stalin used CRC.

11 Likes

It’s all Consumer Preference.

3 Likes

You do realize how insanely hot 400 c is right?

2 Likes

those extra high temp dabs

2 Likes

i love taking 850F+ temp dabs. You guys like lo temp dabs…i like insta combustion dabs. You never have to clean your rig cause the second you lay the dab to the nail it blows up! Dont judge me! Im against the grain!

15 Likes

I think the hate for CRC stems off of the false sense of security associated with “clear” oil being clean. Kind of like how we learned the hard way that thick oil isn’t always clean, people don’t trust that clear oil = clean either so CRC comes across (to them) like a way to mask a dirty product.

4 Likes

Ain’t nothin like that “butter” test! don’t have that figured out Yet for the canna :rofl::man_shrugging:

Are you directly feeding virgin solvent to prewett your filter? Do you have a vapor pressure by pass line for vapor pressure for the virgin solvent and main feed line before the CRC ? Are you dehydrating as your first stage in the crc or before the CRC.

@Apothecary36 before product gets to the consumer shouldn’t we know* the product is the safest it can possible to our knowledge. I’m still trying to find the article but they a transformation with Magsil that involves butane, water, pressure, alkaline acid. I remember the structure turned a lower BP of Magsil. I’ve been writing a journal article on all of this and will be releasing it when i can put more time into it

@DaKine i know this for a fact because none of the effective filtering methods that are stated in many different scientific articles were named. Also the whole CRC has never been stated that correct layering of adsorption media requires a bed framework starting with gnaular to lower micron. So from chunk size to fine powder in a bed of the same zeolite, DC, silca, is the right way.

Another example does anybody have a buffer zone between beds to causes a turbulent flow??? Like using pro paks?

I don’t use CRC BUT here is another obvious what is everybody doing bruhhh thing. Has anybody used quartz pads for media support?? People should be filtering each individual powder to continue to the next one. This will create better flow. Your cake won’t be so thick. Your powders won’t be in a mixing cake slurry right before the filter.

People should stop thinking load this mf up and see what happens…

8 Likes