Whats the best vacuum grease on the market?

I was joking. You are engaging in purposeful re-directive narrative in method all while superimposing meaning or relation to what you are attempting to describe. None of what you are saying or suggesting had anything to do with what I was saying in my “crude analogy” yes I used those words if you scroll up you can see. However it’s obvious I was joking, maybe not to you.

Pics or it isn’t true. The specs clearly indicate it outperforms at all temps but if what you’re saying is true run it and prove me wrong. I’ll even give you the tube. I’ll assume you probably tested the GPL line which is not even vacuum grease. You need LVP for high vacuum

come on guys. Lets stop arguing. Lets get back on topic. Someone was offended by the joke. A simple apology and move back to this excellent information on grease.

3 Likes

Do you really believe in my shop we haven’t tested, tried, or benchmarked for our uses the other 99 suitable greases available on the market?

1 Like

do you have the data from these other grease tests?

3 Likes

Everyone will have opinions about what the best grease is—there are thousands of options. My personal belief is, choose a reputable name, choose something that is (at minimum) food grade and meets FDA CFR 175 Requirements.

Anything Dow Corning is usually pretty good—something like Molykote is great.

Haters gonna hate, but this is the OG vac grease.

9 Likes

Believe me, I’m more than aware that was a joke on your part. All I’m asking is that you not be foul in your delivery of content.

If I wanted dick and fart jokes I’d watch South Park.

4 Likes

I can probably get ahold of them. Most manufactures rate them as a base temp. All grease tends to leak more and more as temps go up. None of them want to show you curves and so the data is just when testing with helium leak detector and monitoring the ultimate vacuum/leak rate when pump down is closed off.

I believe firmly in the uhvp game those brands and product lines are the most suitable. I try and follow those parameters while some vendors aren’t even looking down those lines. Some of the higher vacuum grease actually is designed to have some leaks at room temp and above. Only once they get to temperature they become of a different consistency and start to engage very high vacuum with reduced leaks to a minimum. Remember everything leaks. It’s just about how much really.

3 Likes

I don’t want to turn this into a pissing contest, but Apiezon H is not a food grade vacuum grease. In fact, it is very far from it.

It may work better than Dow, but at the cost of introducing hydrocarbon into your distillate. :face_vomiting:

Also, it’s not compatible with EPDM elastomers.

6 Likes

There is truth to this. Most people use so little of it that it’s not a issue. It’s super common on flange setups and hot swing arms from what I see people doing all over the board.

If it ain’t gonna meet current FDA standards, I ain’t doing it.

Good luck risking consumer health though.

9 Likes

Yeah because you probably tested the GPL grease and not the LVP.

Lmao “you and your sister”

3 Likes

Wrong again.

Dude shoulda stuck to Instagram😂

3 Likes

Are you saying the grease might distill or clime its way into the finale product and not just back into the boiling flask? thanks !!!

1 Like

Yeah, if you do some searching you will find a couple of threads that cover the vacuum grease in the receiving flask problems

What about cryo temps?

501 works well I’ve found. Especially on traps that get wet

1 Like