What would you pay for CBD-A crystal?

@Apothecary36 tell u what, share it and I’ll give it to you. I’ve seen your research and I’m pretty amazed at what you’ve accomplished.

4 Likes

Alright well here goes.

Cbda has a very poor solubility in my favorite hydrocarbon: n butane. It is almost impossible to extract at cryo temps. At room temp the solubility is better, but then we extract a bunch of unwanted crap. To counter this I have used @Waxplug1 'S new media w1 to purify my warm extraction inline. I think @TOPSVik actually has the right idea with using an alcohol as the primary extraction solvent, followed by an LLE prior to evaporation of the alcohol . Now we all know that hydrocarbon is the best for crystallization. I think butane would be an excellent crystallization solvent but pentane is just as good.

Once you have prepared a pure solution of hydrocarbon and cannabinoids, we may attempt crystallization. A simple dirty crash on dry ice, followed by decanting of the mother liquor yielded has me great and rapid results. A secondary crash of the mother liquor is possible and very much desired. Repeated recrystallization is necessary for purity.

Temperature that cbda falls out of a butane solution is around 40 f. As you can see this would make for a lot of difficulty when extracting. I want to try a propane blend this week to increase my yield as I’ve heard others had success using a blend. If I didn’t have waxplugs new media I would have not made such progress on crystallization. Now I have crystallized sauce in my fridge.

Here is the weird part: if I take my supersaturated and crystallized solution out of the fridge, the isolate melts into an oil! It’s actually almost liquid. :scream:

I don’t have any fancy lab tests currently but I have dabbed it and it’s fire. I’ll continue to update

7 Likes

Got any pics you could share?

Yes keep in mind I have a shitty phone rn and I’m on a hemp farm…

W1 butane extract (no sintered disk, lots of clay in the product )

This is your brain on drugs (cbda melting )

3 Likes

Small batch no clays

Cold af been in the fridge for days, starting to melt though

6 Likes

Made this with a propane/iso blend, super runny

1 Like

Posted this in a few other threads already, extracted with 70/30

Uploading: IMG_20200206_153546.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200206_095557.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200211_093849.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20200211_093840.jpg…

Sorry for no gloves, this is a fun side project not for sale to gen pop

4 Likes

Ive been waiting years for this info to come to light. I have been making CBDa sugar for quite a while now, even before implementing CRC and especially after. I havent really had much luck getting huge crystals like the THCa guys but I do think it is totally possible with similar tech.

3 Likes

I do, just don’t have pricing yet- after running it on the HPLC (my high concentration cal levels are off, but the low concentration levels are fairly accurate) the thc is showing .4%

e6937fb69e8f3ad30b1428acb1933dbf3a500d0a_2_375x500

working on purification right now and awaiting COA

2 Likes

might want to take a look at all the other folks’ pics including mine- acidic conditions cause crystallization of CBDa- if the PH in moisture content is higher, whether it’s the original plant material or the solvent, it remains a liquid and is great for keeping CBD from crystallizing- and they’re fragile when they do crystallize, but you’re looking at a bunch of crystals on this thread

1 Like

Wow, i appreciate the pics/videos feedback, it’s great to see others working on this as well, definitely inspiring.

@nostrum @Apothecary36 @Hansel Atleast from these pictures, and my basic understanding, it seems as though the handling characteristics of a high CBDA concentrate depend greatly on the temperature it is maintained at, and the potency/co-migrated impurities from extraction. So at room temperature, CBDA isolate tends to behave as a liquid? It differs from the pic that the @Thedistillator had shown. I would be really curious to see some COAs if you guys end up getting some analytics to compare them.

To the point about the crude, I had assumed Cryo-ethanol would be a great crude material for this since it doesn’t bring over as many waxes. However the material after LLE doesn’t quite behave like a runny oil at room temperature yet, which tells me that we have work to do on purity!

We haven’t had a chance to work with butane/propane extracts yet, but it’s interesting to see these pictures. I’m guessing the other benefit to those solvents is not having to worry about residual solvent removal - which seems to be a challenge if using cryo-ethanol or hexane extracts without de-carbing

1 Like

I’ve got cbda crystals that have been solid and stable at room temp for 3 months.

3 Likes

We have had CBDa sugar out spontaneously in Butane extracted crude. I don’t have the CoA on hand at the moment since I’m on mobile but even the dirty crystals tested at ~85% CBDa. I’m glad more people with more time and equipment than me are seriously looking into this.

Edit: FYI that small Mason jar is still sitting on my desk with stable crystals after 5+ months.

1 Like

Well color me impressed. This is news to me! The extraction team just ran some ACDC I’ll have to get my hands on a SV full and see what kinda magic I can make happen. Have people done this with EtOH extracted?

CoA for those interested.

2 Likes

these pics are at room temp

Well let’s assume that perhaps, just maybe, I have a different cannabinoid in front of me. Perhaps cbc or another minor. I will be sending out lab tests today

my chromatogram looks just like yours

Not me I think u mean @PharmExOregon