What would happen of you centrifuge an emulsion

For example, if you dissolved a sample of bho into alcohol and then poured water into the mixture it would turn milky white and nothing would appreciably drop out.

What would happen if you centrifuge this emulsion?

I assume the water and alcohol wouldn’t separate from one another from centrifugation. Would that mean that whatever precipitated would be forced to the bottom of the centrifuge tube?

in short, yes (if the liquid is more dense than the water/alcohol mixture)

1 Like

Cool.

I’ve got a centrifuge with no buckets, I had the bright idea of making my own buckets for the thing by casting with aluminum or maybe machining one from from some kind of glass reinforced polymer…

My bet was with cast aluminum, but I’d like to hear your response.

@cyclopath or @SidViscous or @tokesandtinkery would any of you folks have any guidance for me?

Yes. It’s a good technique.

2 Likes

How well does the technique work for CBD? Turning crude to isolate on a small scale. My centrifuge has a capacity of 4 liters

Probably not great, since it should crash the thc just as readily as the cbd.

2 Likes

yep, pretty much

[quote=“Franklin, post:3, topic:149284”]
My bet was with cast aluminum
[/quote]t
Not an extremely strong choice, and susceptible to inclusions. This could in effect make all the buckets weigh differently. I would just machine them from bar stock.
How much rcf are we talking here?

3 Likes

3 liter centrifuge my bad

wouldn’t it separate the emulsion

Your swinging some force with that rotor, most defiantly machine the thing.
You might want to do a stress analysis on the part in solidworks before going for it.
Another thing to consider is mass of the bucket, too heavy and it will cause the rotor to fail as well.
The Secret Behind Centrifuge Accidents and Prevention.
Check this out too, scary amounts of force involved

1 Like

Fuck maybe I should just buy the buckets

1 Like

ebay has some good finds out there

1 Like

that would be my response.

unless OEM was made of unobtainium and all known copies had already been melted down.

Edit: understand that used not all used buckets/rotors are actually safe to use.

Corroded Alu rotors/buckets can turn into fragmentation grenades.

inspect new (to you) items carefully. especially under any inserts. weigh buckets to make certain they are actually from the same set.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the miscibility of the liquids play into this?

1 Like

Yes. That’s why I used the example of alcohol and water.

1 Like