What vac pumps don't put out smoke?

So every vac pump I have for my ovens or cls put out hella smoke. Even brand new. I’ve had across international, Pittsburg and bhogart. The Welch I have for my short path doesnt so I’m hoping there is an option. Thx

Have you tried oil filter cap

1 Like

it’s not smoke, it’s pump oil…

want less of it? try and oil-less one such as diaphragm or dry scroll.

9 Likes

Yes. The AI and the bhogart do.

I think I run a diaphragm pump w my roto. Will that work for ovens?

Yep. Won’t work for SPD

Two pump styles exist.

Dry pumps for solvent removal or such

Wet pumps for extra deep vacuum and more evacuation and ejection.

Each pump is meant to be used a certain way. I would suggest better maintenance and mist replacement quite often. The oil being evacuated from the pump is nearly more agressive the better the pump you buy, that’s because it’s actually doing something. Cheaper pumps that emit oil is from break down inside.

6 Likes

I’m a fan of magnetic drive or coupled pumps: Magnetically coupled | Pfeiffer Vacuum This one may not fit your specific application, but it should help to familiarize yourself with the form factor.

Which pump doesnt put out smoke?
The pump thats hooked up to a cold trap.

4 Likes

I heard you can make your own mist filter that works better than the original by filling a pipe with brillo. Anyone tried?

It’s only super large. They use them in Edwards 80. But they still push mist out a bit.

There are oil mist filters that you can buy. Best Value Vacs has them for the cheapest I could find. You could switch to a dry scroll pump and use a cold trap with nitrogen.

Or a mist filter =p

This is what you need.

All vac pumps put out vapors. Thats how you get vacuum.

Ebay has cheap kf25 mist filters. I’ve used these on my trivac for spd runs in my basement with absolutely zero smell/mist

If you use a pump that uses oil:

Something to note that I haven’t seen a lot of in this industry for some reason…:man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:
Is building your lab appropriately so there is a separated “pump room”.
Not only does this eliminate the noise pollution and prolong the life of your lab tech’s eardrums, but also helps with air quality which contamination is a real problem.
We even had a “dog house” sound insulator box built for a big pump that had its own little room in one lab. Totally worth it

3 Likes