What type of hose to use for a -80 chiller

What of hose does everyone use for a -80 chiller?

Silicone tubing works for me. Ran it down to -76 for 12-14 hours no issues.

1 Like

Something like this?

I would recommend a triple insulated bellow style stainless hose for that temp. If you are just cooling then you can possibly use other materials but if you are heating and cooling then the stainless bellow is the way to go.

2 Likes

Yep, the hoses that come on liquid nitrogen tanks are highly recommended

Silicone or stainless steel hose is good for -80C chiller!

Anyone ever hard pipe a -80c Chiller?
I’ve always used silicone or braided stainless hoses.
But I need to run 60 feet of chiller line & am kinda paranoid about silicone busting or getting punctured considering -80c is passed most silicone hoses rating (Other than Ultra low which is dumb expensive)

2 Likes

That’s a lot.

4 Likes

copper L sch 80 pipe brazed not soldered is what i used for 1000’ of my chiller run. Make sure you insulate properly and have that planned before running the plumbing as the insulation will require the pipe to be further off the wall than it would without insulation.

9 Likes

Yeah, really didn’t want to run that far off my chiller :expressionless:
But with the location of the power my options are fairly limited.

1 Like

Glad @thesk8nmidget chimed in. Go with his advice, and check out his post for reference.

https://future4200.com/t/apparatuses-among-us/159526/14

2 Likes

IDK but it might be cheaper/easier to run conduit from the breaker as opposed to the chiller line. Is your chiller’s circulation pump up to the task?

1 Like

What are you limited to?

• If you’re allowed to disclose

I’d always recommend to run the electrical to where you need it vs the process piping. My chillers are outdoor units so they are as close to the processing room as i could manage. We still needed to run a few hundred feet of conduit for the power drops.

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t think of copper :see_no_evil:
Thanks I really appreciate the response.

I would prefer to move the chiller closer, but the layout of the facility doesn’t really allow it. Running 3 Phase power wouldn’t be a huge issue. But the damn chiller is so big it limits my options. Especially after the crack head local regulators said it has to be 3 feet off the ground. So it has a massive steel stand.

3 Likes

No problem, let me know if you have any other questions, I also highly recommend getting the long radius (hvac style) 90 degree elbows for any bends you have. The standard plumbing 90’s add like 4’ more feet of theoretical length per bend to your plumbing calculations vs the short radius style. You absolutely need to ensure the pump is sufficient for the added length.

1 Like
1 Like