What type of equipment do you use to distill?

Hey all,

looking to compare notes on distillation systems. I have a b/r, run mostly manually. Pros - high purity distillate. Cons - could be faster, can be finicky.

We are looking at outfitting the next lab and curious what you all think about your still (FF, SP, Whatevs).

doc_simple

It all narows down to volume needed to process
And budget

1 Like

I’m curious, why don’t you use the software?

It’s primarily agreed upon that SS wiped film systems are the best investment return.

Some people, especially shortpath vendors, will claim that spd is the best route for some reasons. Budget and desired scale are generally the determining factors for purchases.

7 Likes

Agreeing with @ExTek90 on this. I run a 10L SPD but, an TFW has many advantages. The main one is volume output, the second is residency time contact with heat.

I get more applicational uses with my SPD but will be building my own TFW here shortly just for sheer volume and more of a full spectrum end product.

1 Like

i dont use the software as our head unit doesnt control the heat well. It was bought used and its not worth fighting with right now.

I have heard that the TFW can get gunked up easy if you dont do a full winterize/dewax/polish.

You guys have any problems with that?

FF is a good distillation equipment, it can do well in the distillation process, I like it, and I am using it now. It’s really great.

1 Like

I’ve run all of my various kd systems over the last two years with zero clogging or gunking issues. I clean at minimum every 3 months as needed or in-between problem lots (THC or pest contamination). My current location runs a single Kd-10 two stage and a 12L wide bore by lab society. We virtually never touch the 12L because the KD can take care of our needs and give us a more consistent product across the entire batch. Hardly anything to break either except for the turbo pump

Falling films aren’t generally used for distillation of oils, just solvent. I may be wrong but I think the conversation is about end product distillation.

1 Like

Not sure about B/R. Chemtech states * KDT 30 3 Stage 50 kg/hr 420,000 kg/year. It’s a beast.

Your right about the falling film, would be wiped film. Yes?

I’m looking for a turnkey 12-20L SPD that’s sitting bored in your lab. 801.824.1549

SPD,Molecular distillation

This absolutely. If Your getting a decent amount of burnt material each short path run you will gunk up your wipe film

thanks, i thought polishing would make a big difference. Been looking at a chinese wiped film that claims to be able to separate the oils/waxes without a dewaxing. Seems unlikely to me.

Very unlikely