What type of connection is this?

Can anyone tell me what kind of connection this is? It plugs into the back of my mantle for my SPD kit from USA lab. I can’t find any info about what kind of connection it is so I cant replace the thermocouple

I’ve used V11-G-BK5M-PUR-U cord sets. that’s a brand specific part number though. only info I could find on em. probably a good starting point for an internet search. or “automation cord sets and connections”

1 Like

Call usa labs, ive replaced several just ordering online. @spdking can probably give a better idea of the differences

I called them the other day and dude said he didn’t know, it’s the only time I’ve asked something and someone didn’t know

It’s 3-rit good luck finding one in the states. We use k type regular plugs. Everyone in China and parts of Europe use these type.

1 Like

No @spdking you don’t.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 6.25.18 PM

You may use k-type thermocouples, but the plug itself is NOT k-type.

You are either using a standard or miniature thermocouple connector ON a k-type probe.

Ask the all knowing one if you must… or take Omega’s word for it.

mouser has k-type connectors.

3 Likes

I call that a 3 pin female screw on din connector.From the pic it looks like the standard size with screw on connection used in electronics for ever. They also had mini-din and large industrial. Here are a couple possible examples

6 Likes

So I guess my next question is how do I get a new thermocouple set up that I can hook up to this connection?

I’m trying to find out the same thing, but with a wire probe so I can measure between flask and mantle instead.

which pieces do you have from the old probe?
(probably worth reading the whole thread)

if you have the plug, you can transfer it to a new probe, but you need to know what type of thermocouple it is. if it’s a k-type, only two of those three pins have wires going to them. pick up any old k-type probe, and wire it like the old one.

you could alternatively purchase a standard thermocouple connector (see omega link up thread) and retrofit that to your mantle. @dontbanmebro posted pics once upon a time

see: Cheap mantle thermo-probe fix? - #18 by dontbanmebro
(probably worth reading the whole thread…)

if there are wires going to all three pins, then you’re looking at an RTD, probably a PT100. Omega is the gold standard for this sort of thing, but thermomart has many of the parts much cheaper.

my (geneticist style) solution for figuring out what sort of probe I’m looking at it to hook them up to a PID that will take multiple styles of thermocouple/sensor, and go through each sensor type until ice water reads 0oC and boiling water reads 100oC.

having an extra PID around for when you want to control something isn’t a bad thing.

2 Likes

This is what I’m trying to do so o have better control over the mantle temp

I was told that for my mantle there is a plug included that you switch out for the thermocouple which allows you to switch to the internal pid essentially giving you that control. I haven’t tried it out yet, but see if you have that plug and try out it.

1 Like

Just so you know most probes have a twisted end wore couple.

Take the Sheath off. Cut the wires and twist them like they were.

1 Like

I dot have that plug, have been a bit nervous to try it, but I guess it really can’t be worse than over shooting like it already does trying to read flask temp

1 Like

Are you certain it’s the probe? (HHH is a solid indicator)

Have you offered it ice water and boiling water? If it reads those correctly, blaming the probe is non-productive.

The overshooting may simply require running the auto tune feature on the PID. Certainly helped a couple I’ve interacted with. See: Retraining PID In AI mantle?

1 Like

My mantle came with the black plug to set the mantle up.

2 Likes

Is the mantle temp accurate like that?

1 Like

the internal probe measures the mantle temperature rather than the boiling flask temperature, so it’s pretty hard to argue that it is not a more accurate measurement of the mantle temperature

not necessarily a more useful temp to be reading, except in cases where you can’t accurately measure boiling flask temp.

1 Like

I did a bunch of tests where I measured the temp in the boiling flask while letting the wire probe control between flask and mantle before I started distilling like that. Then I based the mantle temp on the vapor temp and visual cues. It kept the same temp for hours whereas I always get some fluctuations with the probe in the bf controlling the mantle.

I tried out the cap to switch to the mantle probe and it works. Haven’t done any more testing to see where the boiling flask is compared to the mantle yet, but I’ll get there soon.

1 Like